OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tennessee outfitters recommendations

Started by stockers53, October 25, 2021, 09:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stockers53

My son and i are venturing to new state in the spring for Turkey. Interested in Tenn. Any recommendations on good outfitter to use? Appreciate it

Jstocks

Quote from: stockers53 on October 25, 2021, 09:56:43 PM
My son and i are venturing to new state in the spring for Turkey. Interested in Tenn. Any recommendations on good outfitter to use? Appreciate it

Do not use any young guys near Shelbyville!
Man what a cluster I got into last year.

Contacted one I found last year and made a deal for 3 of us to hunt. Drove up from south Ms and within 15 minutes of arriving get a text about "if you haven't left don't come". No money had exchanged hands yet, but still.... I had my family with me and the other 2 guys were coming from a hunt from another state and meeting us there. I had the address, so I went to the guy's parents house because I knew they owned the farms we were supposed to be hunting and I had kept text messages with the address from months back. Long story short, the Mom read the text strings on my phone and explained they had been going through a lot of trouble with their sons. Had no idea they had agreed to sell us turkey hunts on their farms and let us hunt for free. Trouble was, the place was shot up. One guy found 3 dead gobblers thrown in the woods that looked like they were killed the day before we got there.

This Summer on the news I saw where the oldest son was murdered in Nashville, and then his girlfriend was shot too. I feel bad for the parents because they were/are obviously dealing with a terrible amount of trouble and no one should have to bury their kid.

Moral of the story, I always feel like I do my diligence on checking places I'm paying to go hunt. Apparently I don't do well enough on my checking. Make sure you check it out good and remember you always get what you pay for. This wasn't going to be cheap, but the price was on the lower side.

GobblinNC

I can second that about the Shelbyville/Fayetteville TN area. The young man that was murdered was guiding and using his parents farms for Elk River Outfitters when I hunted with them in 2020. Does not need to be elaborated, but by far the worst hunt i've ever been on and would never ever recommend that outfit. I also tend to do my research but missed the ball big time on this one.

catman529

Quote from: GobblinNC on November 03, 2021, 08:59:47 AM
I can second that about the Shelbyville/Fayetteville TN area. The young man that was murdered was guiding and using his parents farms for Elk River Outfitters when I hunted with them in 2020. Does not need to be elaborated, but by far the worst hunt i've ever been on and would never ever recommend that outfit. I also tend to do my research but missed the ball big time on this one.
Dang, I wonder if these were the guys guiding on TVA land as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

timberjack86

Quote from: GobblinNC on November 03, 2021, 08:59:47 AM
A quick search found their Facebook page and it's pretty impressive. I can see how you were mistaken. A sticky thread at the top of the forum with honest reviews would be an amazing asset to the traveling turkey hunters here.

3chunter

Hit up public in middle TN.  Should get on birds.

Jstocks

Quote from: 3chunter on December 10, 2021, 01:44:02 PM

And.......people.

Serious? Why Tn as a Non resident?
License cost is just one reason to stay away. Pressure and popularity is another.

Jordan121787

Quote from: Jstocks on December 15, 2021, 02:14:51 PM
Quote from: 3chunter on December 10, 2021, 01:44:02 PM

And.......people.

Serious? Why Tn as a Non resident?
License cost is just one reason to stay away. Pressure and popularity is another.

Where would you recommend then?