OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to straighten bbl?

Started by fountain2, February 09, 2015, 03:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worth612000

Seriously I have a Beretta 391 and I took my stock off to put on a Burris SpeedBead mount for a FastFire sight. Those shims had to be placed in a certain order with similar but different letters on front and bottom and back and front. I had to take a camera and take pics, acording to my book if not assembled correctly it could split my stock.

worth612000

Quote from: fountain2 on February 09, 2015, 05:41:27 PM
Bought used ad and don't have any shims

Shims should be easy to order and not cost much. I really didn't know you use them for point of aim. I thought they were for lenght of pull. Might could run a post in the classifieds on here and pick up some.

The fiber optic sites would be the easiest fix, the ones with point of aim and windage

Ihuntoldschool

Tbrady is spot on, just bend it between two tree limbs. I would not try messing with shims.

Ihuntoldschool

It could also be that the choke holes were drilled crooked from the factory. This is fairly common.

the Ward

Yea lets not try the factory engineered shims designed for the purpose of changing the poi, lets bend a barrel between tree limbs.  That makes so much more sense. Barrels can be bent as a last resort to change poi, but in this case I would try shims or adjustable sights.

Tbrady835

I have to agree with theward, maybe you should try the shims first, but if that dosent work you could pay a gunsmith to bend it between tree limbs or you could bend it between tree limbs for free!!! All joking aside I have seen it done and have done it, that's the way all the old timers used to fix theirs! But yeah give the shims a go

Mike Honcho

I forgot to mention changing choke tube , someone else did , and change ammo.  I  tried to change poi with factory shims and had no luck....that was my gun, it might work on yours.

Snoodsniper

I can honestly say that I've never heard of anyone bending their barrel using a tree! At least not on purpose. Call Benelli and talk to someone. They have always been helpful when I've needed parts or service.

Old Gobbler

I've heard of bending barrels in that manner , plus the smacking over a inflated truck tire method , and personally I think it stands a good chance of destroying the barrel , also potentially creating a weak spot in the barrel due to a possible dent , and that's going down a road I don't recommend anyone travel

You will find more often than not , that off shooting turkey guns often times have off center choke instalations off center ribs or poorly installed beads , all of these I have owned and used sights to correct

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Snoodsniper

I see Sumtoy offers a POI/POA service. Maybe you should give them a call?

worth612000

Benelli Legacy/Montefeltro 26" 12ga Barrel

Benelli Legacy/Montefeltro 26 $425.00

Price of a new one if you mess up yours. You don't even know if it's bent, which is most likely not the problem. You didn't mention gauge or barrel lenght, but they were all the same price.

Its your gun, good luck in what you decide.

mudhen

Brownells carries Benelli shim kits...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Ihuntoldschool

This is a classic case of where the old school is better. Now, the barrel is the offending party here, not your stock so the barrel is the part you want to fix. The old timers knew this that is why they straightened the barrel rather than devising a way to move the stock to fit a broken barrel. Now, messing with shims will only help if the barrel is close to poi/poa already. If it is off very far you can forget shims, but you should forget them anyway for best results. Messing with the stock will alter the way the gun points and your sight picture in a negative way and will affect your confidence. I have never known bending a barrel to destroy it and if it did the old timers would not have continued to use that method.

The man already said he did not have any shims, this is a case where you use what you have people. I am sure he can find a stout tree limb or even an old tire as Mr. Old recommended.

owlhoot

Quote from: fountain2 on February 09, 2015, 03:06:21 PM
ive seen people offer to fix poa/poi using factory bead sight.  Im looking to do this on my gun.  I don't want to put a scope on this one.________(.its for my wife and she is set on the dead ringer sight)
exactly how is this done and is this something I can do myself and save time and money?
Hold on a minute!   Now you are going to put a dead ringer sight on this ?
Mounted on the vent rib. The sight if fully adjustable for windage and elevation, is it not?
Why would anyone bend the barrel then?
If not enough adjustment on the sight, could be mounted wrong?

fountain2

Correct, I am going to put the dead ringer on.  I just haven't seen how it will go up/down any yet though.  I will find out Friday in Nashville though