turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 with Matthews Harmonic Dampner Recoil Reduction System

Started by allaboutshooting, May 09, 2014, 10:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCDieselDawg

Good read!! Is the comb area padded or just the same hard plastic the stocks made out of? 

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on May 12, 2014, 10:25:01 AM
Good read!! Is the comb area padded or just the same hard plastic the stocks made out of?

Thank you. It's hard plastic.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

allaboutshooting

jblackburn

I have an old Viking grade 835 from 1998 or so, really love the gun!  I switched to 3.5 inch Win XX6s from the 3 inch version a couple years ago, it REALLY likes those shells!  I don't spend much time at a patterning board, though!

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jblackburn on May 12, 2014, 02:13:33 PM
I have an old Viking grade 835 from 1998 or so, really love the gun!  I switched to 3.5 inch Win XX6s from the 3 inch version a couple years ago, it REALLY likes those shells!  I don't spend much time at a patterning board, though!
Those guns just keep on going. My first one was in the 1980s and I shot 3.5" Federals through it. It was not a gun that I would have liked to put in a lot of range time with either.

You'd really enjoy shooting one of these new guns.

Thanks,
Clark

R AJ

Clark,
Any idea of how many $s this might add to the cost of the 835?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RAJ on May 12, 2014, 06:52:12 PM
Clark,
Any idea of how many $s this might add to the cost of the 835?

Hey Robert,

From what I can see, not much. Mossberg seems to have been willing to absorb most of the cost.

Thanks,
Clark

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

allaboutshooting

trkehunr93

Great article!  I know when I bought my 835 in 2006 I went out the next day and got a limbsaver slip on recoil pad because of what I had read, when I started shooting 3.5" shells thru it 3 years ago I added a beartooth comb raising kit due to the cheek "slap" (more like a punch!).  Glad to see Mossberg is listening to it's customers and improving their products.  One question though, how did your cheek fair when shooting a 3.5" turkey load thru it?  Is the built in comb adjustment padded?

allaboutshooting

QuoteGreat article!  I know when I bought my 835 in 2006 I went out the next day and got a limbsaver slip on recoil pad because of what I had read, when I started shooting 3.5" shells thru it 3 years ago I added a beartooth comb raising kit due to the cheek "slap" (more like a punch!).  Glad to see Mossberg is listening to it's customers and improving their products.  One question though, how did your cheek fair when shooting a 3.5" turkey load thru it?  Is the built in comb adjustment padded?

Thank you. I have used those Beartooth comb raising kits on several guns and just the neoprene sleeve on others to tame cheek slap as well.

Mossberg certainly seems to be tuned in to their customer base and I've seen more and more shooters using those guns in the last few years.

Neither of the combs is padded. When I took my first shot, for whatever reason, I did not have a good cheek weld. It got me! After that I made sure my cheek was firmly seated on the comb and it was just fine. I mounted the higher comb just to see how easy it was and to judge my eye position but since I wanted to shoot the gun just as it came, using the beads, I did not fire any shots with the higher comb.

At some point, I'll put a base on the 835 and mount a scope, just to see how that affects everything. That always lessens recoil of course because it adds weight.

Thanks,
Clark

CrustyRusty

Hey Clark, I see the weight listed on Mossberg site as 8.5 lbs.  Is this a misprint or is it heavier because of the new stock. That may account for a reduction in felt recoil.  Thanks.

mastevt

This maybe a dumb question, but can a person buy just the dampener, and install it in the stock himself?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: CrustyRusty on May 13, 2014, 09:29:24 PM
Hey Clark, I see the weight listed on Mossberg site as 8.5 lbs.  Is this a misprint or is it heavier because of the new stock. That may account for a reduction in felt recoil.  Thanks.

It's heavier but it's not at all noticeable because it balances so much better in the hands. I'm sure that helps with the recoil reduction as well.

Thanks,
Clark