Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What gun do you think of when you think of a classic turkey gun?

Started by Jc69, January 28, 2022, 10:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 12, 2022, 10:24:27 AM
Obviously there's a lot of "classics" that have killed a lot of turkeys. 

Winchester Model 12
Winchester Model 21
Ithaca Model 37
LC Smith doubles
Fox doubles
etc............

But those don't qualify as "designated, dedicated" guns DESIGNED to be "turkey guns".  When I think of the classic "turkey guns" I'm thinking.......

Remington 870 Turkey
Winchester 1300 laminated
Remington 11-87 Special Purpose
Browning BPS 10 gauge
Mossberg 835
X2 ... agree ... these were the start of turkey guns

dzsmith

From my generation, time, and location the classics are gonna be 870s, 1187s, 500s and 835s. That's probably gonna be the most common and popular models from the earliest era of my turkey hunting , I know there are many classics , but none of which I saw folks using as a kid . Who am I kidding.... When I was a kid nobody turkey hunted ......  never knew many Winchester users . Rifle or shotgun alike.... Just not a common name in these parts for whatever reason. Ruger, Remington .... Maybe a browning for the fancy folks .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

crow

Winchester Model 12
Winchester Model 21
Ithaca Model 37
LC Smith doubles
Fox doubles
etc............

But those don't qualify as "designated, dedicated" guns DESIGNED to be "turkey guns".  When I think of the classic "turkey guns" I'm thinking.......

Remington 870 Turkey
Browning BPS 10 gauge
Mossberg 835

Why does a gun have to be designated or designed as a turkey gun to be a turkey gun, classic or not.

Hunters from Jordan's generation might of bought the tightest shooting gun made at that time for turkeys, but it would of also doubled as a waterfowl and/or buckshot gun. Probably the majority just used their only shotgun. To them when they were turkey hunting, that was their turkey gun.

Mr. Henry Davis went to the trouble and expense to have a custom 3" English gun built for him, the magnum gun of his time. It was designed to his specs, but even it wasn't to be a total turkey gun. He had it choked to shoot tight buckshot patterns for deer as well turkeys. His other English "turkey" gun, was also designed to be just as much of a tight patterning buckshot/deer gun as it was for turkeys. When he used a shotgun they were his turkey guns.

Simon Everett, turkey gun also used for waterfowl and deer, and I'm sure a lot more.

I don't have 1 gun that is set up just for turkeys, some will hold a pattern a little farther than others, all of them are used for a variety of game.
But when I'm turkey hunting that gun is my turkey gun

Yoder409

Quote from: crow on March 13, 2022, 10:07:26 PM

Winchester Model 12
Winchester Model 21
Ithaca Model 37
LC Smith doubles
Fox doubles
etc............

Remington 870 Turkey
Browning BPS 10 gauge
Mossberg 835

Why does a gun have to be designated or designed as a turkey gun to be a turkey gun, classic or not.

Hunters from Jordan's generation might of bought the tightest shooting gun made at that time for turkeys, but it would of also doubled as a waterfowl and/or buckshot gun. Probably the majority just used their only shotgun. To them when they were turkey hunting, that was their turkey gun.

Mr. Henry Davis went to the trouble and expense to have a custom 3" English gun built for him, the magnum gun of his time. It was designed to his specs, but even it wasn't to be a total turkey gun. He had it choked to shoot tight buckshot patterns for deer as well turkeys. His other English "turkey" gun, was also designed to be just as much of a tight patterning buckshot/deer gun as it was for turkeys. When he used a shotgun they were his turkey guns.

Simon Everett, turkey gun also used for waterfowl and deer, and I'm sure a lot more.

I don't have 1 gun that is set up just for turkeys, some will hold a pattern a little farther than others, all of them are used for a variety of game.
But when I'm turkey hunting that gun is my turkey gun

I guess I interpreted the OP's question as the title stated........   "classic turkey gun".......not "classic guns that kill turkeys".    I read the intent as guns designed FOR turkey hunting.   "Turkey guns", per se, are a relatively new concept. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

wv mossy oak

When I think classic, I have to go back into the 1960's.  My uncle Fred would take us turkey hunting and he carried a Model 12 Winchester 30" full choke.  Winchester Super X #4 shot was what he shot, I sure miss my Uncle Fred. 
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Turkeytider

There have probably been more iterations of the 870 than any shotgun ever manufactured. My 2005 12gauge 870 Super Magnum SP-T ( Special Purpose-Thumbhole ) to me hardly even looks like an 870 with a Monte Carlo thumbhole stock, 21" barrel, 31/2" chamber in Mossy Oak Obsession. You could use it for other things I suppose, but it was designed to be a turkey gun.

Brillo

To me, classic implies old or traditional and I would have to go with a longer single shot or SxS with a minimal forestock.  Ten or twelve gauge.  I have never held an old SxS 12 but they must have weighed close to eight pounds!

Yoder409

Quote from: Brillo on March 17, 2022, 06:12:52 AMI have never held an old SxS 12 but they must have weighed close to eight pounds!

7 lbs 7 oz

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

owlhoot

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 20, 2022, 08:54:56 AM
Quote from: Brillo on March 17, 2022, 06:12:52 AMI have never held an old SxS 12 but they must have weighed close to eight pounds!

7 lbs 7 oz

Probably already said it , but will say it again. That is a sweet shotgun. And a classic.

Yoder409

Quote from: owlhoot on March 20, 2022, 09:31:37 AM
Probably already said it , but will say it again. That is a sweet shotgun. And a classic.

Thank you, sir.   It IS a very special gun.  But, I tend to gravitate toward it's sister gun..........the 16 gauge.  It's dimensionally the  same for L.O.P. and barrel length.  But it's another 3/4 pound lighter.  Took my fall gobbler with the 16 this past fall.

PA elitist since 1979

lxsolocam

My Grandpa's old Ithaca model 37 featherlight 12 guage. 30 inch full choke barrel. No vent rib just plain barrel. Only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. But it'd sure whack em. Killed on both ends too. Had no recoil pad from the factory, hard plastic butt plate. Only weighed about 6 pounds seems like. Shot a beautiful pattern tho with old 2 3/4 green Remington nitro mags. Grew up on that old gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevens 301 in 410, Kicks Gobblin Thunder 385 choke tube, AT3 Tactical Micro reflex red dot, Verdict Ammunition 3" TSS 9.5's.

DMTJAGER

Honestly if I could have ANY gun for use as a dedicated turkey slayer it would be a camo Remington SP-10 turkey special with the 23" barrel thumbhole stock topped with a RMR and shooting TSS shells I reloaded myself. I know that's the most extreme of over kills, but its what I've always wanted.

STILL kicking myself for not buying a absolute mint condition used SP-10 for $650 back when I bought my 870 SEM at the Gander Mtn. by my home.

runngun

Remington Model 31, predecessor to the 870
Parker, 12 gauge double
Ithaca Mag 10
Ithaca 37
Mossberg 835, 1988 1st run camouflage

I have all of the above plus alot of "new" ones as well.
The Remington Model 31 has a 18 inch barrel and a steel butt plate!!! Marked property "State of Louisiana".
THOR'S HAMMER!!!

Have a good one
         Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.