turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg SA 20 Turkey

Started by Jroddc, May 08, 2018, 07:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroddc

Does anyone on here have one of these or has anyone shot one. If so what do you think of this gun. I was tossing around the idea of buying one. Thanks in advance

FL-Boss

Great gun for the cost, put in a Carlson .575 and call it good.  If your budget allows, also look at the Weatherby SA-459.  Pretty much the same gun internally, but the Weatherby has pistol grip, full camo and a few other perks.

captpete

I bought the wife a Sa-20 Bantam. GREAT little gun...I'm looking at getting one for myself. I tried a Carlson .575 non-ported choke with Longbeard 6's and didn't a very good pattern. It was pretty spotty with several holes in it. I tried a Heavy-13 ported .573 choke and it throws a very even/solid pattern. At 37yds. it is definetly a killer. At 40 it will kill, but starting get a little thin. At 15 yds. it is throwing a Volleyball size pattern.

Turkeyfever

I bought this gun when they called it the SA 20 "Turkey Thug". I absolutely love the gun! I put a Carlson's .575 non ported choke in mine and have killed numerous birds with it. If and when you can find some federal Tss # 9 that is an unbelievable combo! I had backordered two boxes from Cabela's so i got to use that this year. I had been using federal HV #7 but they discontinued those. Gun is light and absolute pleasure to hunt with!

Dtrkyman

I scored a deal on the turkey thug version, shooting the choke it came with and hand loaded tss 9.5, its a shooter and love carrying it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jroddc

I picked one up. Looking forward to getting it ready for spring.

Turkeyfever

You will really like the gun! They are hard on the gobblers!

Flintridge

Quote from: Jroddc on January 23, 2019, 05:54:06 PM
I picked one up. Looking forward to getting it ready for spring.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours?  And what is the total length?  I've seen two different descriptions, the Mossberg website says 40.5 but some online dealers have it at 46.5. 

Jroddc

I bought it from Buds online. The overall length of mine is 42" without the extended choke tube

Flintridge

Quote from: Jroddc on February 05, 2019, 04:14:47 AM
I bought it from Buds online. The overall length of mine is 42" without the extended choke tube

Thanks. Are you going with the Carlson .575 choke or running something else? 

Jroddc

I'm going to try the factory one of course but I bought a Carlson.575 I'm going to try. A lot of people recommended that choke.

FL-Boss

I have had a few SA-20's.. and now have a few Weatherbys SA-08 and SA-459. All these gun are basically the same thing internally (Turkish made) 
The mossberg SA-20 is real nice - super light. The Weatherby SA-459, has the pistol grip, full dipped camo, and a few other refinements.

As for the set up.... The factory turkey chokes are junk. Countless rounds and chokes and I can tell you the Carlson .575 non ported is sweet spot on all these guns if you are shooting #7 anything or FED TSS #9.
I can't speak for anything larger than #7's

kwild835

My brother and I both have SA20 turkeys.  He shot the factory tube and got almost identical numbers as my gun with Indian Creek .562

288/175 this is with 1 7/16oz handload of 9's.
My .555 Indian creek put 300 in the 10", but it is almost too tight for hunting.

Dtrkyman

My sa20 does really well with the factory turkey tube, no numbers but it was even and a great hunting pattern!

I think it's a 580 or something?

pax2448

I'm looking to get one for my daughter the youth model. Was wondering if later on I can switch to a adult stock?