turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One more reason why I love OnX

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 22, 2021, 02:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Few things in my lifetime have changed the way I hunt more than mapping software. I love being able to mark things on a map and use topo intel in the field to plan a move on a gobbler. Wished they had a turkey scratch icon to use so I sent a question today and got this reply within the hour. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MO_HUNTER

Gotta love an iterative dev team that responds back! Shouldn't take much to implement since the code is in place, and all it requires is another pic. Good stuff!

btomlin

If they say that they can't do it, have them call Huntstand and ask how they got a scratching icon.  :)

FL-Boss

I use both OnX and Huntstand.. I wish Onx would get the same detailed resolution as Huntstand...cause that's the only reason I have huntstand.

Dtrkyman

I have called them twice regarding an issue I was having, resolved quickly and extremely courteous as well as informed help.  There is a track icon I started using, and I use the strutter one when I see or hear a tom.

SD_smith

Emailed them once several years ago about property boundary updates and mistakes. They were extremely helpful with deciphering some stuff. Great people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Best hundred bucks I have spent on any hunting item I own! I guess this one is only leased for a year but anyway...

eggshell

ONX is an awesome tool, but it works for other people as well,  :(.  Last week in Ky. we sat on a  point and listened to hot birds across a huge valley and stream. I dropped a pin on the bird and a waypoint for us. We ten drove around until we found a access on a ridge we could walk and  went right to the spot. By then the birds had shut up and we couldn't raise them, but we know where to go in the future. This would have been very hard without the app. On the flip side we got crowded out of our old spot by two newbies that showed up. This is an equally hard place to find and in 25 years never saw a hunter. Maybe they used one of the apps as well. Still I like it as a tool

alloutdoors

I like the usefulness of their product, but as a company they lost some of my respect when they recently pulled out some of the layers that had been available in the hunt map and repackaged them into their off-road map which they'll try to charge you another $100 for. And surprise, surprise, they didn't lower the cost of the hunt map even though it now provides less information. That's just greed, plain and simple.

eggshell

I guess that slipped right by me,  alloutdoors. I did notice it looked different. I tried huntstand on trial and did not like navigating it. Both are very outdated and you can not totally trust lanowner's data. The property behind mine sold 3 years ago and they have never changed it. Another farm I hunt changed owners 5 years ago and isn't updated. You still need to check who owns land, but the boundaries are still pretty good, unless a farm has been split in a sale. Just proceed with caution when your on private land. I find it useuful to locate isolated public areas and navigate. I like using the tracking. I find it useful to track my trolling runs on lakes. I have that on my fish finder, but the screen gets pretty cluttered and I can turn it off and use my full screen then refer to my onx screen. I wish they had a more active compass on the main screen

alloutdoors

I noticed it because one of the things they pulled was maps of snowmobile trails, and being in NY we have a lot of those. It's not a layer I really need personally, but we've been looking for a new house/property for the last couple years and it was nice to hop on OnX when considering a place and see if there were any trails running through or near the property. People tend to run those trails at all hours of the night and I didn't really want to be hearing snowmobiles zipping by at 3AM.

Paulmyr

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 23, 2021, 08:00:58 AM
I like the usefulness of their product, but as a company they lost some of my respect when they recently pulled out some of the layers that had been available in the hunt map and repackaged them into their off-road map which they'll try to charge you another $100 for. And surprise, surprise, they didn't lower the cost of the hunt map even though it now provides less information. That's just greed, plain and simple.

I didn't notice. Curious which layers your  talking about.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

alloutdoors

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 23, 2021, 09:49:23 AM

The main one that I noticed was snowmobile trails, because we have a lot of them around here. I'm pretty sure that off-road/4x4/ATV trails also used to be available on the hunt map, and maybe even hiking trails but I'm not positive on that one. I know that there used to be quite a few options of different layers that you could turn on, and now there's basically nothing except WMU boundaries, public land, and private land.

Paulmyr

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 23, 2021, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 23, 2021, 09:49:23 AM

The main one that I noticed was snowmobile trails, because we have a lot of them around here. I'm pretty sure that off-road/4x4/ATV trails also used to be available on the hunt map, and maybe even hiking trails but I'm not positive on that one. I know that there used to be quite a few options of different layers that you could turn on, and now there's basically nothing except WMU boundaries, public land, and private land.

Just gave mine a quick look and it appears I still have motorized trails, snowmobile and atv. Looked at a wma I'm familiar with and the walking trails are there. I have the elite package not sure if that makes a difference.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

paboxcall

OnX dropped the ball with some states having satellite imagery taken during summer months.

The tree canopy obscures all ground detail, so heavy in places the leaves cover up some forestry and gas well roads completely. You have to guess how that trail runs from point A to point B.

Other states with late fall or early spring imagery on OnX allows the user to see the ground in detail, old skidder trails, water seepages, evergreens among the hardwoods, rock outcroppings, and other specific details or points of interest which help you navigate on the ground.

When I called OnX customer service to ask if those states with summer satellite images would be upgraded, the response was apathetic at best. 'Yeah, we know...some day, maybe, but keep sending us money' was essentially the answer.

I prefer the OnX mapping tools over HuntStand, but HuntStand's multiple layers flat out spanks OnX for states with satellite imagery taken in the summer.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot