turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cody calls opinion

Started by southern_leo, March 15, 2016, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

I'm starting to look at getting a glass or Crystal pot. I'm leaning towards a Halloran glass or the Sneed outlaw hen. I checked out Cody and their world class and spec 1 are $175.00. Come on now imo no call is worth that much. Many turkeys are killed every year with much cheaper calls. What do yall think? Is it branding only or do these calls run that much better? Full disclosure I've never run one so I'm asking honest opinions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jroddc

I own both the Halloran Crystal mistress and double glass they are both top notch. Haven't personally ran or heard the Cody but don't see how it could be any better than those two and you could buy both Hallorans for less than the Cody.

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: southern_leo on March 15, 2016, 09:15:55 AM
I'm starting to look at getting a glass or Crystal pot. I'm leaning towards a Halloran glass or the Sneed outlaw hen. I checked out Cody and their world class and spec 1 are $175.00. Come on now imo no call is worth that much. Many turkeys are killed every year with much cheaper calls. What do yall think? Is it branding only or do these calls run that much better? Full disclosure I've never run one so I'm asking honest opinions.

Curiosity Killed The Cat. You can kill a bird with an old clay pigeon and a stick out of the woods as well as you can with a $175. call. A call only runs, that much better, if you can run a call at all. There are no such things as a as The Best Call. Your skills are what fills a tag NOT what your using.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

idratherb

Their great calls, but willowridge said it best, plus if you have plenty of time and a spot with birds all you really need is a $5 mouth call and you can fill your tags.

MK M GOBL

Have been using a "CODY" for better than 20 years and would not give it up for anything! I personally own (2) World Class Slates and I have ended more turkeys with that call than every other call I have combined. Bit of a story behind that 2nd one, but would have no other call in my hand day in and day out.

You can not go wrong owning one of these calls!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

That "CODY" story.

So I am in the U.P. of Michigan hunting with some buddies that I have been hunting with for years, We ended up moving on a bird and setting up quickly, I dropped my vest of my shoulders and got set. I was calling a bird in for Jim and we killed, I put my call in my vest got up and went out to the bird, we took some pics and headed out. Was the last hunt of our season up there. I headed back to WI for a late season hunt and the day before making sure everything was ready, that's when it happened... my CODY was missing, tore the house apart, dug through the truck, called Jim and had him do the same... no call. Well after season was over had to make the decision and ordered another call from Bill and said no rush didn't need it till next spring. My "New" call came not too long after I ordered it (off season). Been hunting MI in U.P. every year and here we are 3 years after I lost the call and, yup you guessed it. I sit down to work a bird and here lays my CODY next to the same tree I hunted next to years ago, still in the Tupperware container and still in great shape. I grabbed that Tupperware container and couldn't believe it, We finished up that bird and I was showing the guys what I had found, only thing I could figure was it fell out of my vest as we were picking up and there it laid there until that day. I gave my Dad the "new" CODY I bought and old faithful was right back where it belonged. I have plenty of memories of hunts, turkeys and friends and family but if you think about it they all start with my CODY!

MK M GOBL

Happy

There is no "best" call out there. Basically it's like saying a benelli kills turkeys better than a remington or mossberg. If you want an expensive call then kock yourself out. It is all in how YOU run a call. There are some bad calls out there but any reputable call maker can make a call that kills turkeys just as well as any $200 call. Just like the benelli's expensive doesn't mean more effective. You can buy at least 3 calls that will get the job done for the price of one world class. That's three options to find one that fits you well. If your just starting out I would suggest you contact a couple call makers and listen to some of their calls and go from there. Once you get proficient at calling then if you still want a pricy call then go for it. That's just my suggestion. It's your money though. Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

skimerhorn

I just got a cody drop dead woodsman slate and it's the best sounding slate call I have. It's better then my Woodhaven. I also got one of there carbon tipped strikers that works amazing on it

boatpaddle

I've run Cody calls since the late 80's........My calls from Cody were bought before they became pricey....

I don't care what you run, if you have confidence in it and the turkeys respond to it, it's YOUR best or favorite call. The one you reach for, when it's crunch time in the turkey woods... :icon_thumright:

If you don't want to spend your money on a 175.00 call, I understand......  We all have families....

Buy a Drop Dead green slate & make the feathers fly.... ;)

One good sounding call & lots of time practicing with it yields better results in my mind, then having 15-20 calls and not knowing which one to carry...Learn to talk turkey first with one call & educate yourself in the habits of the wild turkey, then get some different calls to learn to play....Saves ya time & money, when your first learning........

Cody calls have been around a long time for good reason......They work !!  :newmascot:

Good luck with whatever call(s), you choose....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

jed clampett

I would love to have a Cody world class slate...some day I will...but let me say I have a genes turkey calls cherry slate....$ 18.50...it is killer....buy one and check it out..i got lots of calls bit this is a go to slate

english professor

A "killer" pot call, at any price, depends mostly on the striker (mostly the wood composition)  and the person running the pot.  Some importance should also be directed to the pot surface preparation and the striker tip conditioning.  Wood of the pot and the soundboard type also make a difference.

I have inexpensive pot calls all the way up to Woodhaven's Carbon Crystal at $200 and Cody Legend at $175.  I've just gone through all my pots and tried all of my strikers on each pot.  I'll be carrying in my vest two Joe Vaughn pots, aluminum and glass.  Both are really great with their pre-packged strikers.  I also will carry the Woodhaven Cluck-n-Purr for closing the deal.  Probably carry a Pat Strawser glass as well. 

My box calls will be Cody's Southern Belle and Cody's Cherry Holei One Sider.  I've got $400 box calls that aren't as good, at least to me.

It all boils down to trying different pot surfaces and different woods on pots, with as many different strikers as you can get your hands on.  Once you settle on a pot, never stop trying different strikers - one might still sound better than what you use.       

All of the variables above are still dependent upon your notion of what sounds like realistic turkey talk.  I suggest that you buy a CD of real turkey talk (Call Midwest Turkey Call Supply) and listen to it over and over.

I like Cody calls.  Bill has been very accommodating to me, as has his daughter, Shannon who sells the Tupperware containers to protect your pot call.  Likewise, Jimbo Lindsey of Woodhaven has been very helpful and caring as I searched for the right call.  I downed my first turkey with a Woodhaven Real Hen Cherry box, around $99.00.  I've dealt with all the major callmakers and paid from $25 up to $180 for pots. All of them are serious craftsmen and all will treat you with respect.  My son swears by his Lonnie Mabry crystal pot, collectible and expensive on eBay, but inexpensive if you make the pilgrimage to Mr. Mabry's shop - which, by the way, is the only honourable way, in my opinion, to buy his calls.  My younger son swears by his Mabry glass pot and a cheap cherry box he was given free at a Jakes function by the NWTF.

There is no set, proper approach to finding the right call for you.  All the variables above must be confronted and worked through until you put any in your vest.  Keep trying woods and surfaces.  Also, listen to real turkey talk.  You will then find what's right for you.

Regards

southern_leo

Quote from: english professor on March 16, 2016, 02:20:40 AM
A "killer" pot call, at any price, depends mostly on the striker (mostly the wood composition)  and the person running the pot.  Some importance should also be directed to the pot surface preparation and the striker tip conditioning.  Wood of the pot and the soundboard type also make a difference.

I have inexpensive pot calls all the way up to Woodhaven's Carbon Crystal at $200 and Cody Legend at $175.  I've just gone through all my pots and tried all of my strikers on each pot.  I'll be carrying in my vest two Joe Vaughn pots, aluminum and glass.  Both are really great with their pre-packged strikers.  I also will carry the Woodhaven Cluck-n-Purr for closing the deal.  Probably carry a Pat Strawser glass as well. 

My box calls will be Cody's Southern Belle and Cody's Cherry Holei One Sider.  I've got $400 box calls that aren't as good, at least to me.

It all boils down to trying different pot surfaces and different woods on pots, with as many different strikers as you can get your hands on.  Once you settle on a pot, never stop trying different strikers - one might still sound better than what you use.       

All of the variables above are still dependent upon your notion of what sounds like realistic turkey talk.  I suggest that you buy a CD of real turkey talk (Call Midwest Turkey Call Supply) and listen to it over and over.

I like Cody calls.  Bill has been very accommodating to me, as has his daughter, Shannon who sells the Tupperware containers to protect your pot call.  Likewise, Jimbo Lindsey of Woodhaven has been very helpful and caring as I searched for the right call.  I downed my first turkey with a Woodhaven Real Hen Cherry box, around $99.00.  I've dealt with all the major callmakers and paid from $25 up to $180 for pots. All of them are serious craftsmen and all will treat you with respect.  My son swears by his Lonnie Mabry crystal pot, collectible and expensive on eBay, but inexpensive if you make the pilgrimage to Mr. Mabry's shop - which, by the way, is the only honourable way, in my opinion, to buy his calls.  My younger son swears by his Mabry glass pot and a cheap cherry box he was given free at a Jakes function by the NWTF.

There is no set, proper approach to finding the right call for you.  All the variables above must be confronted and worked through until you put any in your vest.  Keep trying woods and surfaces.  Also, listen to real turkey talk.  You will then find what's right for you.

Regards
I need to go to Mabrys. It's only about 2.75hrs from me

PALongspur

I have a pile of pot calls and my World Class and two Spec 1s are three calls that I'll never part with.

alankrow

Quote from: boatpaddle on March 15, 2016, 10:39:00 PM
I've run Cody calls since the late 80's........My calls from Cody were bought before they became pricey....

I don't care what you run, if you have confidence in it and the turkeys respond to it, it's YOUR best or favorite call. The one you reach for, when it's crunch time in the turkey woods... :icon_thumright:

If you don't want to spend your money on a 175.00 call, I understand......  We all have families....

Buy a Drop Dead green slate & make the feathers fly.... ;)

One good sounding call & lots of time practicing with it yields better results in my mind, then having 15-20 calls and not knowing which one to carry...Learn to talk turkey first with one call & educate yourself in the habits of the wild turkey, then get some different calls to learn to play....Saves ya time & money, when your first learning........

Cody calls have been around a long time for good reason......They work !!  :newmascot:

Good luck with whatever call(s), you choose....

[/quote  :z-winnersmiley:

Paladin85

I have a cody world class I bought in 1994 for $50. it still is my favorite slate pot call and has been the demise of many public land gobblers in SC but I wouldnt pay $175 for it. I have other slate pots in the $50-65 range and a  Lonnie Sneed hot hen slate that sounds great and gets the job done I suspect just as well as the Cody.