turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kee Disc Question

Started by larry9988, January 21, 2016, 09:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I bought a kee disc from the classifieds a while back. I am pretty proficient with pot calls and do pretty well with them but I can not use this thing. What type striker should I use? Do I need to condition the call in any way? Any pointers would be appreciated.

MK M GOBL

I don't have the call your referring too but I can kee kee on my slate call by running the striker on the very most outside edge of the call, I do change my finger position on the striker by putting my index finger real close to the tip and this makes the striker have a higher sound, then I "push" the striker on the call. Guess a bit hard to explain though...

MK M GOBL

Made this up a while back as a handout on the "How to run Slate Call" don't if it will help or not...

MK M GOBL

and here's the front side

MK M GOBL

Sadler McGraw

these calls can be very finicky, especially when you have colder weather.  I condition mine with a piece of maroon colored brillo pad, that particular grit is what works for me.   Finding strikers that will run on them is the hard part.  Try to find Matt McClain here on OG he makes a great kee striker.   Midwest offers a couple of stikers make for kee disc.

I attached  and old video I made several years ago about making a kee kee on friction.  watch this and it might help you figure out what your missing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XA6KbcNDM

Sadler McGraw
Sadler McGraw Custom Calls
World and Grand National Calling Champion

larry9988

Thank yall so much for your reply. I watched the video Sadler made and made a hard copy of slate call instructions. I will keep trying to get a descent sound out of the kee disc. I really appreciate two such qualified people taking their time to help me. That's what makes turkey hunting and this site so good.

fordhunt

He can really call with that disc . ive been looking to buy one of his crystal calls , then something comes along that ive been looking for and i buy it . I,ll get one this year .

Mabren2

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 21, 2016, 11:55:35 PM
I don't have the call your referring too but I can kee kee on my slate call by running the striker on the very most outside edge of the call, I do change my finger position on the striker by putting my index finger real close to the tip and this makes the striker have a higher sound, then I "push" the striker on the call. Guess a bit hard to explain though...

MK M GOBL

Made this up a while back as a handout on the "How to run Slate Call" don't if it will help or not...

Thanks for posting these instructions. I read through them, and your explanation helped me out a lot with consistency on my purrs. It's really not all that different than what I was trying to do, but mentally focusing on trying to make that "J" shape has made a big difference for me.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Mabren2 on January 29, 2016, 06:31:16 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 21, 2016, 11:55:35 PM

MK M GOBL

Thanks for posting these instructions. I read through them, and your explanation helped me out a lot with consistency on my purrs. It's really not all that different than what I was trying to do, but mentally focusing on trying to make that "J" shape has made a big difference for me.

Glad it helped!

MK M GOBL