turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Aluminum pot call reccomendations

Started by NYbassman, March 07, 2014, 02:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYbassman

Looking to purchase a new aluminum call before this season and was hoping I could get some reccomendations from those of you who have experience with more of them than I do. My last aluminum was a lights out, which unfortunately got left at the base of a tree somewhere. It was a good sounding call, but the only aluminum I have owned so I dont have much to compare it to. So far, I have been looking at David Halloran, the hooks assassin, and houndtooth's, although I dont see an aluminum call listed on their website anymore. Any opinions on these, or other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

greencop01

Hi, I'ld recommend Al Hobart 'Enticer Turkey Calls' google his website. I use his 'Silver Fox', first year I had it called three birds to the gun. It can scream and it can get bedroom soft. By all means look up his website. Norm  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

reynolds243

Darrin Dawkins seems to be one of the best out there. Do a search and you will find plenty that agree. His is expensive but I've never met a guy that didn't love the call

REBELYELL

I have the Enticer aluminum in a composite pot and it sounds good. If you want wood, try David Halloran, Paul Platz, Darrin Dawkins, Clint Corder, Gary Anderson or Lights Out.   

hunter22

I presently own 21 aluminum pot calls. My go-to aluminum calls were made by Darrin Dawkins, Gary Anderson, and Bill Lyman. That being said I killed a nice gobbler a couple years ago running only an aluminum pot from SS. 

NYbassman

Anybody got contact info for Mr. Dawkins? A quick google search didnt turn anything up. Thanks.

scoot12

Darrin Dawkins number is 1-803-366-3305.  He makes his aluminum pot in walnut and plastic.  Scoot

Footballer

Anybody have a sound file for the Dawkins aluminum?

Footballer

I had Wendall Rye (Lights Out) make me an anodized aluminum (green) smooth side up over an acrylic soundboard in a walnut pot. The call is a flat out screamer with good rasp with his dymondwood striker. I can't wait to use it this spring.

Heller

I'd go with another one of Wendell's lights out aluminum calls. I have a canarywood with green anodized, and after having this call for a year, I got rid of my other aluminum calls.

Footballer

Bud & Betty also makes an excellent aluminum call

Ross R

Killed an Osceola with one of Wendel's aluminum call this weekend.

memert116

Buddy Stang with Talk'n Stick Calls makes a nice aluminum call with walnut

Ctburdchasr

For an aluminum I run  the silver fox from al holbert at enticer calls  I really like it, I ran it at a show in massachussettes for awhile before I purchased it, He states on the website that he tried both the green and black anodized and decided against it because he thought the sound was superior with the aluminum he's chosen. I agree that in his pot with his striker it is a wonderful sound. you can get sharp, loud or quiet and purr...... I may be doing it wrong, but I think it's because it isn't anodized it tends to build up on the striker rather quickly compared to a anodized aluminum. Best of luck to you

drum817

The SS anodized is VERY tough to beat!  Runs very easy and sounds amazing!!!

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"