OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20ga question

Started by turkey buster, April 16, 2016, 09:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

I've got the short barreled 870 20ga ready to play with. Season closes in a week here but I'm gonna have it ready for next season. I've got the tightwad and ssx along with some mag blends and hw 7's both 3in.

I also have sone truglo magnum gobble dot sights to fine tune it.  My question is what are reasonable numbers to expect with this combo. I've seen people claiming 180-200's and some in the low 100's

Cleveland48

The best I have gotten with federal heavyweight 7's was 176 through a Carlson .575 extended choke. Same choke also shot the magblends best in my gun too. I think they got around 117 to 120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

i'm sorry but i'm not a how many numbers can it shoot in a 10 in. circle , what i looking for is what is the best pattern that gun can shoot without having holes in the pattern.. i want the most consistent pattern.

turkey buster

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 17, 2016, 12:33:27 PM
i'm sorry but i'm not a how many numbers can it shoot in a 10 in. circle , what i looking for is what is the best pattern that gun can shoot without having holes in the pattern.. i want the most consistent pattern.

I agree there but if I can get an even 130's id take that over an even 90's. Plus I always use adjustable sights so my pattern will be centered of where I aim.

Greg Massey

I agree with you but i also use scopes on my guns also .. just make sure your getting the best non - whole pattern you can get with whatever your shooting and don't worry about numbers..

BowBendr

I cant speak for the mag blends, as I have never shot them. The hw7's are another animal all together when paired with the 21" 870 barrel. Seen some really low numbers, seen some really high as you mentioned. I do not believe it is the shell, I believe the guns are just fickle. You have a shooter or you dont. That being said, I also believe that some people fudge on their ranges a bit, hate to say it but its true. From looking at every pattern posted on OG for years, and shooting my own, I believe a realistic expectation for the hw7/870 combo is a solid 140-50. One disclaimer...if you do have a bona fide shooter and its gonna put up a high number, its gonna be with the SSX, and with that particular choke it will be really good or really bad. Doesnt seem to be much middle of the road with that combo.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

357MAGNOLE

I tried a Carlsons .575, SSX, Tru lock for federal HW, and a Remington Super Full.  The Carlsons produced the most consistent pattern that always hit to point of aim. The Tru-lock gave me the best numbers, but the pattern seemed to move around a little bit.

SSX shot to the left and was completely blown at 40 yards.

RSF was good, almost as good as the Carlsons.  Just dropped off some numbers from the 10 by about 20 shot. Otherwise it patterned as well. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

turkey buster

Quote from: BowBendr on April 17, 2016, 07:11:09 PM
I cant speak for the mag blends, as I have never shot them. The hw7's are another animal all together when paired with the 21" 870 barrel. Seen some really low numbers, seen some really high as you mentioned. I do not believe it is the shell, I believe the guns are just fickle. You have a shooter or you dont. That being said, I also believe that some people fudge on their ranges a bit, hate to say it but its true. From looking at every pattern posted on OG for years, and shooting my own, I believe a realistic expectation for the hw7/870 combo is a solid 140-50. One disclaimer...if you do have a bona fide shooter and its gonna put up a high number, its gonna be with the SSX, and with that particular choke it will be really good or really bad. Doesnt seem to be much middle of the road with that combo.

I've often thought some of these patterns were fudged by about 10 yards myself. I would be perfectly content with mine if it shot 140-150 as you mentioned, but I'd settle for 130's if the pattern was even. I'm not much of a 40 yard guy myself as most of my hunts are close range, but I want a gun that will stomp one if the only opportunity was at the outter limit.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

yella yelper

I got a Sumtoy for that same setup. He told me when I ordered it that it should do 140-150. First shot after deep clean registered 148 at a lasered 40 yards. It was dead on with no sights so that was a bonus. Good luck