turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pros and Cons of 20 G auto loader options

Started by kevin2, January 15, 2016, 01:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I am considering going with a 20g autoloader this year. I want something that will keep the recoil down. Gas or inertia, I'm kinda clueless on what is better or different AND why. Just looking for some information.

The Weatherby SA-08 Deluxe 20 Gauge Autoloader looked like an option, as I noted that the 28g in this gun got some good reviews. I was considering going with a 28 too, but kinda leaning towards a 20 at the moment.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

01Foreman400

Do you handload?  If not I'd go with a 20 ga.  What's your budget?  What length barrel do you want?
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

kevin2

No, no hand loading. I'm really leaning towards the 20 though, and that is another good reason

gophert

You can spend as much as you want to spend but the Weatherby  SA08 would be at the top of my list. 

Sent from my typewriter

kevin2

That sure does look like a nice gun, that is for sure.

Quote from: gophert on January 15, 2016, 08:42:25 AM
You can spend as much as you want to spend but the Weatherby  SA08 would be at the top of my list. 

Sent from my typewriter

longislandloco

A gas gun will give least recoil, the Winchester SX3 in a nice gun for the money, blued or camo...........I'm old school, I go Remington 1100 20GA, a multi-generation gun, my Grandkids will shoot it, JMHO.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

MK M GOBL

kevin2

Got rid of the 1100 from the 60s, as the kick was to much & it wasn't as versatile as I'd like. Great gun though...and I have considered a 20 in the 1100.

Quote from: longislandloco on January 16, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
A gas gun will give least recoil, the Winchester SX3 in a nice gun for the money, blued or camo...........I'm old school, I go Remington 1100 20GA, a multi-generation gun, my Grandkids will shoot it, JMHO.

01Foreman400

My first choice would be the M2, 2nd Affinity and 3rd Stoeger 3020. 
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

Britton40

1100 LT 20 magnum youth is fairly heavy.  Definitely a soft shooter.

longislandloco

If recoil is an issue watch the gun weight, a Franchi is a nice gun but under 6 pounds, close to 5 1/2, it will give you a jolt as will most of the light weight Italian guns.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

surehuntsalot

I really like the Weathersby SA08, and the Stoeger 3020
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

FL-Boss

I have the SA-08 and SA-459.   The SA-459 20ga is the best turkey gun ever made IMO.

JBK

Inertia guns use the energy of the fired shell to eject.  Gas guns use the gas from the fired shell to eject.  Inertia guns kick more than gas.  Inertia is a little cleaner. 

As others have said weight of the gun will make a difference. 

I shoot an 870 20.  I have a limbsaver butt pad that makes it a breeze to shoot.  I shoot FHW 7's 3", but if I take a youth I have FHW 7's 2.75's that I let them shoot.  Honestly the 20's shoot so soft that there actually fun to take to the range.