Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season has been a bust so far

Started by RutnNStrutn, April 04, 2015, 06:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

What started off as a season full of promise and hope has quickly fizzled into a bust.
Started with 4 days up in SC. First day I worked a gobbler right off the roost in to 50 yards, where he got intercepted by hens. Next morning I had 6 birds gobbling around me, but couldn't convince any to play the game. The next 2 days were silent. No gobbles, no bird sightings.
Home to FLA for the opener. Didn't get drawn for any hunts, second year in a row. Got an invite to a small piece of private land though. Called in 2 gobblers the first day to within 100 yards of the property, only to have hens intercept them. Next day was a repeat, only it was 3 gobblers that came in to just over 50 yards before the selfish hens took them away.
Next day I joined 4 friends from out of state who were drawn for a WMA near my house. I had scouted the area, sent them maps, and helped them scout prior to the hunt. So I was very pleased to find out that 2 of them had scored on gobblers already. I was going to call and video for one of them who was handicapped. The next day it rained throughout the hunt. Despite that, my friend and I saw 2 sandhill cranes with a baby, 2 deer, 2 hens and a larger, darker bird briefly. Also the third friend also got a Gobbler that morning! The next morning we went out again, and shortly after daybreak I called up a jake to the dekes. It was my friend's second trip to FLA, but his first opportunity to harvest an Osceola. I asked him if he wanted to shoot the jake, and he replied yes. I videoed his shot. All of us were thrilled for our friend! I was especially pleased that all 4 of my friends ended up getting birds!! The last day we all hunted on our own. I called in a jake and hen. Saw deer and sandhill cranes. It was a good day overall
That was the highlight of my season so far. After a break, I returned to SC. I've been here 5 days. Only heard 3 gobblers the first morning, and haven't seen or heard a bird since. Gonna hunt another day and a half up here before I return to FLA.
I've previously been invited this season to NC, Georgia and private land in FLA. Since then, none of those guys haven't gotten back to me. I'm getting concerned that I might get blanked for the first time in 20 years. Right now I'd just be happy to hear a gobble, or see a hen!!
It's as if aliens came and abducted the turkeys where I'm hunting!! Weirdest season I've had in a long time!

Sent from deep in the turkey woods on my Droid RazrMax HD.

g8rvet

I'm right there with ya brother.  My go to spot that I was "holding off" on so my daughter could  kill one (1-3 birds every year for the last 10 years-for me and son).  Heard one gobble the first Wednesday of the season and nothing else.  Even seeing hens there, but no gobblers or jakes (I am jake hunting too for her). 

On public, I have called one bird to 75 yards and 2 birds inside of 50 on the same day 5 miles apart - no truck ride for either. One walked right by me gobbling every 10 yards, definitely in gun range and could not see him for a shot, the other stayed on the other side of a thick area and would not walk the extra 10 yards around either end he easily could have to get to me. Called a jake up when I was working that bird on a later day, he was moving sideways to us and heard a shot on the other side of the swamp right where I heard his last gobble. I have left that spot, but will check it this week. 

Wish I could have you up, but if you drove all the way up here, I'm afraid you would poke me in the eye for wasting your efforts.  But you know you are welcome if you want to give an Eastern a try anyways.  I will do my best to put you on one.  I have been putting some serious miles on my legs this year on public just looking for a gobbler track. 

Best of luck, I have full confidence you will cease the life functions of a tom.  Me?  Not so much. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Hayudog

Last year it was the last day of our late bow season til I closed the deal.  It ain't over til the fat lady sings and you've hung your vest.  Rut must be headed to California, it's just started to rain. Last rain was in January.  The three year drought has our birds stressed.  I've yet to see a jake.  All older birds.  And they act like it.  Stay the course Ray. 

Deputy 14

Keep after them. You'll put one in the dirt eventually.

Twowithone

I know you guys will pull through for Guns&Hoses and get big and I mean BIG gobblers for our team. :firefighter: :policeman:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Larry, if I get desperate, I'll call! If not, we should hook up next season!
Doug, ain't that the truth? Send Rut to Cali, and the drought will end!!
Dep 14 & 2withone, ain't no giving up in me!!

Sent from deep in the turkey woods on my Droid RazrMax HD.

Mountainburd

Hang in there.  Seasons have their ups and downs.  Keep at it and you'll knock one down.  When you do, it will mean that much more.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Mountainburd on April 06, 2015, 05:10:43 AM
Hang in there.  Seasons have their ups and downs.  Keep at it and you'll knock one down.  When you do, it will mean that much more.
I just want to work a bird!! Killing one would be a bonus. Back home today, trying to figure out my next move. Good luck to all of the Gunners N' Hosers!! Schwack some bigguns boys!! :fud: :turkey: :icon_thumright:

NJFF6925

Sounds just like my season last year Jim! Was only selected for 1 segment (5 days). Had some exciting encounters but never pulled the trigger. First season to not tag one.

RutnNStrutn

Dang, I hope it doesn't come to that for me. :o I'm working hard on my options for FLA & NC. Then hoping that the 2nd 1/2 of the SC season turns around action wise.

blackmagic

Duckwhacker and I struck a bird friday morning.  I went after it and he went into a new area up the trail.  I patterned my bird, but he found a sweeter piece than me, but I did find one of two ridges in that swamp he was sitting in.  Had to make a choice and chose the strip 100 yds behind the other hoping not to bump him "sneaking" in early.  Florida swamp (jungle) hunters know what I'm talking about.  Well, made the wrong choice and worked that bird for what seemed to be hours.  Every time I'd have him somewhere in the palmettos and vines with me, I"d hear a series of clucks from a horny hen and away he'd go.  This happened a solid 3 times. 
Duckwhacker had the same happen friday with birds gobbling until 12:30. 
Unfortunately, got dragged to the inlaws house on Sunday because I think I could have had that bird in my lap.
Oh well, there's always this weekend.

RutnNStrutn

Good luck this weekend guys!! I'm still planning my next move.