OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey hunting boot recommendations

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 13, 2020, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Hi folks.  I hunt in the spring in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina.  Looking for a lightweight pair of boots that breath, are water-resistant/waterproof, and uninsulated.  I hate hot feet, but wet feet and socks are miserable too.  Any recommendations?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

StruttinGobbler3

I highly recommend Danner Sharptails. Best hunting boots I've ever owned. If you have venomous snakes like I do, get the snake proof version. They're still extremely light and comfortable. If not, they make a shorter, non snake proof version. I wear them in turkey season, deer season, and on quail hunts. Never given me any problems and have held up great over 3 or 4 years and many miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Dtrkyman

Ones that fit, I tried on every brand boot I could find.

Merrel fit and are comfy but do not last...Asolo are perfect for me, I have a heavy pair for packing heavy loads and a light pair, I use them turkey season with kuiu gators if it's wet.

Sierr@  trading post has good prices on Asolo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballer

Get a high-quality hiking boot made by a reputable company that specializes in hiking boots. I have a pair of Lowas that I really like. If you are worried about snakes, get a lightweight pair of gaiters to wear with them. This combo is substantially better than any snakeboot out there.

rifleman

I do not hunt without wearing snake boots.  I have a pair of Danner boots now that didn't last long as far as waterproof goes.  The boots are in goog shape but leak.  They are comfortable for me but I have been considering new snake boots by Irish Setter.  I have seen many good reviews and they are affordable.

Ross R

I wear these in Florida and I deal with a lot of water.  My feet sweat to death though. They would sweat in crocs here lol.

https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/catalog/product/view/id/38318/s/4xalpha-snake-boot-16-realtree-xtra-green/category/440/

TauntoHawk

Good fitting boots cheap boots are better then I'll fitting expensive ones. You have to figure out foot and what brands fit it.... Wide/narrow, high/low volume, soft sole or stiff, how much arch support is needed?

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel, stiff soles feel like ski boots to me and give me shin splints so I need softer flex with a nice rocker for a smooth transition. I wear gaiters so I don't like high boots but I see a lot of wet grass so it needs to pair quality leather and gortex.

My feet like meindl and hanwag boots but didnt work with crispi or danner and under armour and Columbia hikers weren't high enough quality to last very long.

Current boot is the hanwag banks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spurs

Go with Lowa, Solomon, or Crispi.  I did a lot of research and settled on a pair of Lowa Renegade 2GTX mids.  Super high reviews and all leather....I prefer leather due to being a little tougher.
This year is going to suck!!!

bear hunter

I hunt in wnc also and a keen hiking boot is tough to beat for the price. They will last and are light enough to cover some ground in the rough and steep terrain you will be hunting.

Big Pine

I second the keens. I am horribly rough on boots and they have lasted great.

turkey_picker

Sir-diealot

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 13, 2020, 03:39:53 PM
Good fitting boots cheap boots are better then I'll fitting expensive ones. You have to figure out foot and what brands fit it.... Wide/narrow, high/low volume, soft sole or stiff, how much arch support is needed?

I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel, stiff soles feel like ski boots to me and give me shin splints so I need softer flex with a nice rocker for a smooth transition. I wear gaiters so I don't like high boots but I see a lot of wet grass so it needs to pair quality leather and gortex.

My feet like meindl and hanwag boots but didnt work with crispi or danner and under armour and Columbia hikers weren't high enough quality to last very long.

Current boot is the hanwag banks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Completely agree with this, I have some expensive boots that were horrible and some moderate priced ones that were really good for the time they lasted. I bought a pair of the VAPRTREK boots so many people had talked about here last year, expensive boot, very lightweight but fit my one foot like a vise.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

model94