turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I finally shot my new shotgun

Started by rt2bowhunter, January 18, 2024, 03:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rt2bowhunter

It's been cold but today I just said heck with it I'm going to shoot my new gun. So I loaded up the buggy and up the hollow I go.

I set up a big piece of cardboard at 30 yards and covered it with Christmas wrapping turned inside out or white side facing me and drew a dot to aim at. I was shooting 2 3/4" reloads with 5 shot. First shot low so I adjusted next shot closer but still low 3rd shot ok I'll buy that.

I had a gobbler target left from where I worked with my 20 ga over and under. That had probably 20 hits low left I marked them with a black sharpie. I taped it on the white paper at 30 yards and shot it with my reloads using 9 shot TSS.

I think that might kill one :) just kidding. I am very happy with that pattern.It did hit a hair right. I adjusted it to the left a hair.

I shot that with a Beneill Supernova

This has got to be the lightest kicking 12 ga I have ever shot even with turkey loads. I swear it kicks less than my 20 ga that is about 2 lbs lighter.  Any way thought I'd share :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upfold99

Nice pattern! I have the same 12ga and shot 3.5" out of it, before switching to a 20ga. Mine turned me away from 12ga. It kicks like a mule!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

rt2bowhunter

I shot mine for the first time today. And was shocked at the low recoil and my 2 3/4" loads are hot. My TSS loads are hot. To be honest I thought what a pussycat. Granted I didn't and won't shoot 3.5" I went down that road with the 835 30 years ago or so. I ordered a limbsaver recoil pad if I had shot it first I wouldn't have ordered it.

My 20 stings and bruised my shoulder shooting 3" TSS.

Funny how I guess different guns and people are just different.

Ridge Rooster

Great gun. I use a Supernova with steady grips stock and shortened barrel to 20", and a Scalarworks mounted Holosun, and love the gun. I have many other turkey specific guns but I tend to grab the Supernova the past few years. I did have trigger lightened as it was nearly 7lb from the factory, this made the gun a lot better for shooting tight patterns.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

rt2bowhunter

So far i'm liking it. The plan is a dual purpose shotgun Turkey of course and also a Duck, Goose gun.

Yeah my trigger isn't the best. But it's getting better  i washed it out with WD40 a lot then just set watching TV with the trigger group out controlling the hammer with my thumb so it just didn't slam. I bet i worked the trigger concentrating on the sear a few 100 times over a few days off and on. Then more WD40 then some Ballistol its still long imo but not gritty any longer. I don't have a trigger gauge but it don't even come close to supporting the weight of the gun before it breaks. But still could be better :).

Can't wait till Turkey season :)

Ridge Rooster

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the guy who lightened my trigger but he has it down to 4.25lbs of pull from the original 6-7lb. He did mine and a hunting buddies Supernova and both came back excellent. It was fairly cheap and turn around was very quick. I do remember that he lived in Colorado.

Ridge Rooster

bbcoach

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on January 23, 2024, 06:15:58 AM
For the life of me I can't remember the name of the guy who lightened my trigger but he has it down to 4.25lbs of pull from the original 6-7lb. He did mine and a hunting buddies Supernova and both came back excellent. It was fairly cheap and turn around was very quick. I do remember that he lived in Colorado.

Ridge Rooster
Is this the gentleman that did your trigger?  I had my 835 cleaned and polished over ten years ago and it removed the creep and took it down to about 3.5 lbs.  I have his info if interested.  I'm not sure if he is still doing this or not.

Bill Springfield

NICE pattern bowhunter!

rt2bowhunter

Thanks

I might hunt with mine before i do anything to it. I fooled with it today its way better than it was new. And seems to be getting better the more i work it.

Ridge Rooster

Bill Springfield! That is him. He did 1 for me 2 years ago and one for a buddy last winter. Excellent work and not to expensive.

If you will can you share his contact info? I would like to give him some more business.

Ridge Rooster

bbcoach

Bwhntr68

I may have missed it but what choke are you using? Looking to make my supernova duck hun my backup turkey gun

rt2bowhunter

I just took a stab in the dark and bought a Carlson .640. I reload my own TSS #9's 3" bought the TSS from Hal and use his data.

Kytomgetter

That's a great pattern definitely get the job done. Now bring on spring!!

rt2bowhunter