OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hens with poults

Started by snoodcrusher, June 15, 2019, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoodcrusher

I was on my tractor working in the hay field today and saw two separate hens with poults.  I had mowed the perimeter of a 10 acre field and when I made the third pass I came upon a hen and 11 poults.  Some flew up into small trees at the field edge and some stayed with the hen who slowly walked into the hardwoods.  I left them alone for a while so they could re-assemble.  They were all headed the same direction indicating they would likely be able to get back together without any problems. 
Later on, after I had finished mowing the entire field, I started down a farm road on the opposite end of the farm and ran into another hen with 8 poults.  A few of these young took flight as well .  I stopped and throttled down for about 5 minutes allowing them opportunity to hear one another and re-assemble.
The first flock appeared to be about 3 weeks old and the second were perhaps just a bit smaller.  I'm glad they all were big enough to fly. 
I was glad to see such numerous broods given the constant wet spring we've been having in WV. 
Two different hens with large broods and a day in the hay without hitting any fawns is a good day indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zelmo1

I also saw a hen with a bunch, I counted 11, of poults today. Not spooked so they were all walking. Nice to see

shatcher

Anyone in Middle TN seeing poults?