Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stabilizing? Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Started by lumberjack, December 17, 2016, 07:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack

No pun intended!! I have some gift money coming to me and am considering trying my hand at stabilizing.  Is it worth the expense for a small call maker to jump into? Also considering trying to cast some blanks, including hybrids, with alumilite. I just wanted to get some opinions, thanks!! Merry Christmas!!

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Tapatalk

misfire

It is worth it if you plan on stabilizing a lot of wood. If you are only going to do a few, I would send those out. Stabilizing does allow for a lot of creativity, especially when using colors
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

mastevt

I do a lot of stabilizing and coloring.  really enjoy it.  Not only can you make unworthy pieces of wood ideal for calls, but you can play around with colors, double, and triple dying.  You can make some pretty plain grain material stand out and pop with coloring.  It's pretty cool.  Curtis will help ya if you have any questions.  Great guy.   It's an investment for sure, but worth it in my Opinion.

M,Yingling

as for makin calls no I don't think u need to do it can always stick with your hard woods or exotics ,,, if your wanting to get into spalted woods and some burls yes u will need to stabilize the wood ,,, I not only like making calls but will say iam addicted to wood lol iam all ways looking for that next piece that's going to knock your socks of on looks and with out stabilizing would never be able to turn to the wood with out it coming apart and making a good sounding call and weather its calls pens or bowls stabilizing help them woods other wise u couldn't turn ,, I got woods I just stare at at that I hate to turn they look so good LOL
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey