turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Future turkey calls

Started by SS Calls, July 05, 2014, 08:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SS Calls

Josh and I ran across this big Black Walnut tree during turkey season. It had uprooted along the creek bank in a bluff. Got to thinking about it recently and went to see my neighbor to see if it was on his property. Sure enough it was, and he gave me the tree!! I took three pics of different sections to try to show the size of this thing. It's over two feet through at the base, and probably 50 ft long. Now comes the hard part.. Getting it out of the bluff and on our side of the creek. Should make some really nice call wood in a couple of years.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

callmakerman

That will keep you busy for a while.

TRKYHTR

There is alot of work there Al. Congrats

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

WillowRidgeCalls

Great find Al. A nice straight tree like that one should have some good heartwood in her for a bunch of calls. Looks like that will keep you busy for a week or two, hope you find a way to get it out of that hollow.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

SS Calls

I think I can get it out of the hollow in short blocks with an electric winch. I'm gonna try to get it hauled to my place and just work on it with a chainsaw when I have time. I can't get it out until late this fall when the neighbor mows his hay.

WillowRidgeCalls

Would be nice if someone close to you had a team of horses, then you could cut it in a 10' length and drag them up to the edge of the hay field.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

SS Calls

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on July 10, 2014, 09:47:24 AM
Would be nice if someone close to you had a team of horses, then you could cut it in a 10' length and drag them up to the edge of the hay field.

That would be nice for sure Scott!! I'll figure out something though because I think there should be some really good straight grained dark walnut in that tree. It's tough to find a good source for dark walnut that hasn't been steamed.