OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turtle shell slate call

Started by sleepyturkey, June 17, 2014, 12:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepyturkey

Anyone out there thats has made any turtle shell slate calls be willing to help me out on making my own? Like how much of the shell to grind off, what glue to use and where to find a pc of slate that big?

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mastevt

This is one I did for a friend.  He provided me with the shell he found while hunting turkey.  I do want to take a minute and warn you.  If you are planning on building one for someone and charge him for it, and plan on shipping it, you may want to reconsider.  I have a friend who is a conservation officer, and selling one, and shipping one thru the mail, is violating both state and federal laws.  You can however do it, if he brings it to you, and picks it up, and you do it free of charge.  Just something to think about.  I'd hate to hear of anyone getting into major trouble on this.  Anyways, here is one I did.  I fit a piece of oak into the shell.  Chamfering the sides to fit the inside of the shell.  Then make it like any other pot I make, with a few extra sound holes on the top sides to help it out.

sleepyturkey

Not selling, dad found the shell and i was going to make it for him. The wood is a ideal i hadnt thought of before. Thanks for the input.