turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

blasted glass

Started by sasmojoe, January 28, 2014, 05:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasmojoe

I just got me some blasted glass to put in some pot calls. How does this compare with regular glass? Do you use the same spacing between soundboard as regular glass?
Thanks in advance

SS Calls

It's the same with the exception of the surface being blasted with some type of media for grip.

TRKYHTR

I got some blasted glass and could hardly get it to work right. I had to put it on my lathe and resand each piece just so it would sound right.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

SS Calls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 28, 2014, 11:59:51 PM
I got some blasted glass and could hardly get it to work right. I had to put it on my lathe and resand each piece just so it would sound right.

TRKYHTR

Pretty much the same experience here Joe. I really don't like the blasted glass myself. I use the bronze glass and condition it myself.

pappy

The secret to getting good quality blasted glass is to make sure the seller is using an oil free setup in their blasting. Or that they have the proper dryers installed in line. Many a time at works I remember using our blaster to do some glass, but in the end the dryer was not doing its job, leaving a film on the glass imbedded into the blasted area. Only way to get rid of it was to resand by hand.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

WillowRidgeCalls

Quote from: TRKYHTR on January 28, 2014, 11:59:51 PM

TRKYHTR
X3
I took mine to the belt sander to get rid of the blasting just to make the call play right.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

VanHelden Game Calls

I bought some on a deal.  Didn;t care for it myself either.  I just hit them on the belt sander as stated above.  Its how I start all my glass unless its a picture call.

Cut*N*Run

Here's something I found weird. I have a bunch of calls I've made and kept for myself over the years and over the summer all of the 3.5" blasted glass cracked. I've had glass crack before and I know it happens and probably more when your "man town" is in the cellar. I just found it interesting that it was only the 3.5" blasted glass that cracked. 3" calls were fine. Bronze scratched glass was fine. Crystal was fine. Even the regular scratched glass was fine. Only the 3.5" blasted calls cracked. Except one call- 3.5" blasted glass in a corian pot. That one survived.