OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finishing olive wood??

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, July 29, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

I have got some olive wood that I got for trumpets and turned one. Decided to try tru oil on it and it stayed tacky for awhile.. What's a good way to finish olive wood that's durable that you don't have to have 48hrs between coats.. Or should I put acetone on it before the tru oil?? suggestions please...

pappy

Here is a quote from a guy who made 30 pen blanks using olivewood....."I always rubbed them good with acetone before doing between 4 and 10 coats of CA then polishing with plastic polish. The one I use still looks like day 1 over a year later."
Now he is talking about thin CA glue, sanding to 1000/1200 grit in between coats.....plastic polish is the same I use on Acrylics...http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1027/plastic-polish-and-plastic-polish-kits.html?gclid=COimmanW1bgCFdAWMgodRhMAcA
check it out here, cheapest place to get fresh polish.....when you apply the polish turn it on youir lathe and dry it with a cotton t-shirt....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Houndstooth Game Calls

Pappy CA would probably be a awesome finish especially on a trumpet. I tried some ca once wow what a mess lol maybe later I will try it. Good news is the tru oil did dry took a little while but it did I am hoping that the next coats are quicker since the first coat cured!!

misfire

I would recommend thin CA too. It is very easy to apply and makes a strong, durable finish
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks Pappy and Misfire Y'all got me talked into try the ca again when I go by woodcraft I will pick some up!!

pappy

Now that was an interesting video. I am going to order a kit and try it out on some Olivewood myself. But I am still thinking to DNA the wood first just in case the oil would present a problem....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

magnoliagamecalls

I would DNA it prior to putting it on also. I purchased just havent tried it yet