OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

snuff can build info please

Started by Fox Fire, January 02, 2013, 09:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Fire

I had a conversation with a young man that goes to school with my daughter, told his granny still dips snuff powder so (of course) I asked if he had any of the old tin snuff cans that had been emptied out, he told me "bunches of'em", he brought me one complete with the lid a week or so ago & this thing is nearly 2 inches around & about 3 1/2 long & the smell alone brings back memories of my great grand ma. (HA !!)

I hate to cut up the lid because it has "American" (brand name I guess) stampped in it, so think'n about cut'n the bottom out for the latex/poly (whatever it is), plus the bottom edge has been rolled & is way more rigid & probably less apt to deform.

I need some foor for thought before I tear into this thing, its my first attempt at make'm a call & I want to do the best job I can,neat,clean & functionable.

Consider'n the size, what would be the smartest way to cut the hole for the reed, typical half moon cut in the bottom (or top) for the reed, or maybe a little smaller & adjust from ther, depending on the sound ?? 

And whick type & thickness of reed would you think would be the best place to start ?? (I want it to sound as natural as I can but think'n it mite have a lot of volume consider'n the size of the can.)

Figured ya'll mite have some good info to ponder,I dont want to mess up a nice older can, it has tiny specks of rust & a petina look to it, wish it still had the label on it but has plenty of charicter as is.

Thanks in advance gents.

mmclain

ask her if she has the smaller  ones....about 1" diameter

Fox Fire

I was think'n today it mite be to big to sound natural, the smaller ones sound a little squeaky to me, but the tube call I actually use is probably a little bigger than an inch around & sounds great, I guess thers only one way to find out.

I plan on asking about some smaller cans next time i see him, rather have it any way, guess granny buys the industrial sized cans from sams club or costco.

lightsoutcalls

I have built tube calls, but not snuff can calls.  You mentioned cutting the bottom of the can.  You will need to think about how close that will allow the latex reed to sit to the bottom of the call.  You said the bottom had a rolled edge.  I would think that would keep the reed from being close enough to the remaining metal of the bottom of the can to produce the right sound.  If you can get your hands on multiple cans, you might be able to mess around with different designs to get the sound you want.  In my experience with tube calls, I found that having the reed at the same level (varied only by the thickness of the reed) and within 1/8" of the straight edge of the "liprest" created the best sound for me.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Fox Fire

Kind of wondered about the rolled edge not making for a flush fit myself, all the tubes I've seen are as you described with the reed fitting perfectly flush to the opposite lip.

Also curious about reeds, found some last night but noy sure if ther gonna a good fit considering the size of the can, thought I mite have to buy some dental dams & maybe double up & see how it sounds.

trial & error is how we learn I guess.