turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sandpaper source - check it out

Started by lightsoutcalls, March 16, 2012, 09:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

After 8 years of turning turkey calls, I finally had to break down and buy some sandpaper.  Previously I had a connection in town of a guy that made industrial sanding belts, and I got his scrap material.  It wasn't uncommon to cover the bed of my pickup with scrap pieces up to 3 feet long.  This gentleman passed away a couple of years ago and I have finally run out of the paper I had acquired from him.  SOOOO.... I googled sandpaper rolls.  I was looking for the little 1" wide shop rolls in the cardboard box to set on my lathe bench.  I found the source below and ordered a few rolls.

http://www.buysandpaper.com/?utm_source=BuySandpaper+March+2012&utm_campaign=CC+Newsletter&utm_medium=email

These folks have every kind of sandpaper you could imagine, from sanding disks, belts, shop rolls, velcro backed pads.... 
I'm pleased with the product and the service, so if you need sandpaper, check them out.  If you order, you might mention that you heard about them on Old Gobbler.  It won't get you or me a discount, but I told the owner I would post a link here.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WillowRidgeCalls

Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

mmclain

I still haven't gone through a box full of those belts I got from you over 5 years ago........it was a great deal..

matt

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

handcannon

I just bought a box of Emory cloth sandpaper,1"x25', 150-400 grit. I thought at $10 it would be a pretty good deal but that stuff don't last at all. Guess its just some cheap stuff. The 150 grit feels like 320 after finishing one pot call. I'm gonna surf around that site and see about getting some more. Thanks for the link Wendell.

Lonehowl

I like Klingspor Gold rolls. Its a little pricey but worth it. Very sharp and uniform.
Mark

lightsoutcalls

If I can get a smooth, scratch-free surface that is ready to apply finish, I'd rather spend the extra money on other stuff. 

I've only tried the shop rolls from this source, but am getting ready to place an order for my 6x48 belt sander.  I talked to the owner, who said the shop rolls are made for sanding metal and may clog a bit faster than some papers.  I have turned about 40 calls and as many strikers so far using this stuff and am happy with the quality.  It tears off easily, and I can count on using about 4" of the 1" wide roll per call or striker.  I use it as a transition between 120 grit garnet  emery cloth and 320 grit J weight emery cloth. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.