turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Using GOOP glue,help?

Started by MarkJM, March 01, 2012, 09:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, last time I had GOOP glue I had a terrible experience with it. It was indoor plumbers GOOP in the purple tube. It was very hard to squeeze out of the bottle and when I transfered it into a glue bottle it all dried up on me inside the bottle. I bought some all purpose GOOP from brookeside in the red tube. How do you guys go about applying it to your calls? Do you transfer it into a bottle?
Thanks

-Mark

P.S I dont think the GOOP I ordered comes with a small nozzle.
MuellerCustomCalls

merocustomcalls

Mark I use disposable syringes to apply my glue.  Most glues will react to the plastic syringe and go bad after a short time but all I do is use the syringe one time on each batch of calls and it works out for me.  If I'm not mistaken Goop glue will cure in the presence of light so it can't be stored in a clear bottle, hence the reason it comes in an opaque tube. 

here's the link for the syringes:

http://www.firstoptionmedical.com/Kendall-General-Purpose-Syringe-Monoject-12-mL-wit-p/30077.htm

woodwzrd

Mark,
All I use is plumbers goop. A lot of guys use the syringe method but I just use the long tip that comes with the tube. What I do is after I glue a batch of calls I just take the tip off and set it on a piece of scrap wood standing up and let gravity pull the excess glue out of the tip. This will leave a thin skin of glue left in the tip that after it cures you can sometimes just pull out the tip or if it breaks as you are pulling it out you can use a piece if wire to push it out the threaded end of the tip. This tends to be a little wasteful but if you plan it so you are doing three or four calls at a time the waste is minimal. Also if you figure the cost of a syringe for every use versus the cost of the equivalent of enough glue to do a couple of calls it probably comes out in the wash.

VanHelden Game Calls

You could buy a new tube for every call :TooFunny:

I feel the pain, I have tried different methods, some success some failure.  I just received a box full of outdated NEW syringes from a clinic.  So the needle is my next attempt.

Cut*N*Run

I use this style of syringe:

http://www.firstoptionmedical.com/Kendall-MONOJECT-SoftPack-60-cc-ml-Syringe-w-o-Nee-p/30000.htm

The trick is to only squeeze in the amount of goop needed for the number of calls you are gluing. Then, push any leftover goop from the syringe into the trash. Pull the plunger out and wipe it off. Stick a paperclip or piece of thicker wire through the opening of the syringe so that it isn't blocked. Store the two parts for next time.

This way, you can use the same syringe for a much longer time. Really the only time I need to switch to a new syringe in when I forget to push the extra goop out of an old one.

4nolz2

since I am a Vet I use syringes-a larger diameter needle works best as the small ones are hard to squeeze glue out-just take a small syringe (3cc works good) take it apart and fill the syringe directly from the goop tube,reassemble and put a 16-18 gauge needle on it for good control when applying-discard when done.3 cc of Goop goes a long way.You can buy syringes and needle from any good feed store in the livestock supply area or probably your vet would give you a handful.

kenturkey89

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 01, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

http://www.firstoptionmedical.com/Kendall-MONOJECT-SoftPack-60-cc-ml-Syringe-w-o-Nee-p/30000.htm

The trick is to only squeeze in the amount of goop needed for the number of calls you are gluing. Then, push any leftover goop from the syringe into the trash. Pull the plunger out and wipe it off. Stick a paperclip or piece of thicker wire through the opening of the syringe so that it isn't blocked. Store the two parts for next time.

This way, you can use the same syringe for a much longer time. Really the only time I need to switch to a new syringe in when I forget to push the extra goop out of an old one.

I use this exact same method and it works great for me!
Brian

TRKYHTR

Quote from: kenturkey89 on March 01, 2012, 02:09:30 PM
Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 01, 2012, 11:45:29 AM

I use this exact same method and it works great for me!

Ditto
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

handcannon

Syringes for me too. I shoot the goop into the syringe then apply it to the call. When I am done I put a tiny drill bit in the opening to keep air out and keep it from hardening on the tip end. If I don't plan on gluing any calls in the next couple days, I will inject the remaining glue back into the goop tube and close it up. After that, just pull out the plunger and ram it in a few times quickly to push out any remaining goop. When storing it, do not replace the plunger. Just leave them separate. I usually ask the doctor if he can spare any when I take one of the kids for a doctors visit. Sometimes they will let you have a handful. Other wise, I will pick some up where ever I can find them.

Another tip which was given by a member on here: Cut a "V" notch out of the tip on your syringe. When you put it straight down on the ledge and start squeezing the goop, it will make a nicer bead.

CallMaker

I just use the long tip that's on the Plumbers Goop.  After using it I stick a 16 penny nail in the tube and put a piece of tape around it to keep it from drying up in the tube.
Steven

TarheelTurk

Mark like the rest i use Goop, i actually use the same purple tube you mentioned. i get the syringes from the drug store and reuse it several batches w/ no problem. extremely hot water and a tooth pick works wonders on gettin the tube cleared out after shooting the excess out. I also have used acetone it works too( a lil faster) jus my 2 cents. Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

gunslinger

I too use a syringe...easier to lay down a fine bead with one too.