OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cedar pots

Started by Houndstooth Game Calls, December 14, 2011, 11:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Houndstooth Game Calls

Alright I am playing with cedar pedestal walls 3/16 the bottom of the call lacks .004 of being a 1/4 thick side walls are thicker than normal and it's a 3.5 playing surface and the top of snd board is as hair further from being 1/32 from bottom of playing surface. Do ya see anything that I might should incorporate into this call I have not been able to get what I want out of cedar but it's cheap and plentiful here where I am from. Also what combos might be my best bet in this. Hope some one gets some useful knowledge out of this lol. I have tried couple things on this go around thickened walls smaller pedestal and thinner pedestal. Anyway penny for your thoughts if you can share some knowledge on cedar pots. Thanks

mmclain

I made some nice calls from the bucks chapel club cedar......leave the bottom thicker thin out the sides.....thick side walls will ruin the sound........still will be a softer sound to the call........

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks Matt I appreciate it! How are things!!!

TRKYHTR

My pedestal thickness is 3/16, the height of my pedestal is slightly larger than 1/8", sometimes a little longer depending on the distance from the bottom of my playing surface, which is slightly larger than 1/8". The diameter of my pedestal is 1 5/8". I use glass over Corian or glass over glass. Try that and see if it makes a difference. I think your pedestal is too close to your playing surface. I've done that before and it was soo high pitch it wouldn't do anything except for kee kee and it was a slate.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

mmclain

Quote from: Houndstooth Game Calls on December 15, 2011, 12:20:57 AM
Thanks Matt I appreciate it! How are things!!!

doing well..........just got off the lathe this evening....first time in a while.......turned a trumpet from some Huiche Sach that I cut in Sonora TX 2 years ago.......

matt

TarheelTurk

I just turned 3 identical cedar pots last night. I changed some stuff from my previous. I.ll be glad to share what i find out though. I will say my walls are thinner and the bottom has been , however decided to make these w/ a slightly thicker bottom. All of them are glass/glass. I will post pics eventually gotta be after christmas b/c their for a friends family for christmas. I'll be in touch asap, should have them completed monday
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Houndstooth Game Calls

Thanks to all of ya and the pm's I will incorporate it on the next one and yes tar heel give me a shout by the way I glued her up and she's easy on the eyes but sounds horrible to high pitched and does roll over might remind sound board was 1/32 below I think the pedestal size is fine thicker bottom thinner sides next go round!!!