OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Centers

Started by TRKYHTR, September 22, 2011, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Is there any kind of tool that will find a center on a small piece of wood like a striker blank? I'm thinking of something that will either prick the center or mark the center on small objects? I'm having a hard time getting the center on my small 1/2" striker blanks. Thanks,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

stone road turkey calls

joe this may be what you are looking for.
peachtree woodworkers supply. http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_products.htm#1295

gary

Item # 1295

Wood Turners Center Finder  

Quickly locates the center of turning stock.

•Maximum 8'' round, octagon and square; 5-3/4'' hexagon.
•Made of impact—resistant plastic

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

magnoliagamecalls

Joe,
        I just use a metal ruler. I take it from corner to corner making a cross.

handcannon

Hey Joe. If all of your 1/2" blanks are uniform, you might be able to make a small jig. Cross cut a slice off a 1/2" square from the end of one of your blanks then drill a small hole into the center. Make it just big enought to run a brad nail or something simular through. Just set it onto the end of the blank, set your nail into the hole and give it a light tap to make your center point.

If need be, I will sell you one of these precision pieces of scrap wood for $19.95 plus S&H. That's an OG special price that is 50% off the going price and all the proceeds go to my favorite charity (ME). I'm here to help.

lightsoutcalls

I mark my striker blanks with my bandsaw.  I set up my fence to guesstimate center with the blade.  I make a cut about 1/8" deep, flip the blank 90 degrees, cut again, flip 90 degrees, cut again, flip 90 degrees and make final cut.  If the fence is lined up on center, the 3rd and 4th cuts will end up in the same mark as the first 2.  If it is a bit off, I make the needed adjustment before marking (cutting) the other end.  This also helps by allowing the 4 teeth of my head center to catch in the cuts. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!