Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How much of a pot calls surface do you condition?

Started by jakesdad, March 14, 2017, 11:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

Just curious how much of the surface on a pot call that you guys "scratch up". Most of mine have an area about the size of a quarter or a hair bigger. Have seen some guys with dang near the whole surface conditioned and others with such a small area its a wonder they can run a striker on it  ;D. Just wondering what your thoughts were and if it made any difference one way or another.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

rbreedi1

I just condition a small spot due to resell value. Almost all the calls I buy from a call maker or private seller already have a small spot that I just touch up.
Thunder Ridge Totes

mspaci

If I made one to sell, just a small section. My personal calls are conditioned whole surface so I can pick up & play w/o looking.  Mike

Tennessee Lead

Quarter sized area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Just a small playing area. That way if I decide to sell it or trade it , It will be easier to do so. I will not buy or trade for one that the surface been decimated to a cloudy mess.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

1iagobblergetter

Some of my favorites i hunt and know I'll never get rid of the whole surface is conditioned. I want to grab my call not looking  at it and play,but I  have quite a few since I got the pot call addiction that only have the small spot conditioned just because I'm sure it lowers the value I've left them that way. I shouldn't worry about it I can never part with any anyway. Lol.. I've always liked slates alot also and use them alot for close in calling(problem solved with them) along with other calls.

BABS9

Whatever the call maker usually conditions it too is how I leave it.

joker

I condition the whole surface. It just annoys me when I have to play a call in one small spot.

palongbeard

If I get a call that sounds the way I want it to in the initial area I condition it, i will work over the entire call to get the sweet spot to my own ear.  An example is the Sneed Outlaw Hen - it ran great from the start but I have a small area that I worked into that has my sound and roll over.  Also i go through several strikers first.  Once I find the striker that likes the surface I decide if it's for me or not - then I pair that call / striker and dial it in.

MK M GOBL

On my Cody World Class Slate I have the entire surface conditioned, I play different calls in different spots on the call. I could never run most of my sounds in a small spot on the call. Same goes for the glass call... I always thought the calls with that small spot conditioned was just so you could test it out.

MK M GOBL

boatpaddle

I condition half of a call.....if it's a "Keeper" call.....

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

dejake

Half.  That way I can get different pitches out of it.

MK M GOBL

I created this sheet for when I do pot call seminars, there are a few reasons as to why "calls" are made in certain areas on the call as one call follows or leads to another in calling sequence.

MK M GOBL

*Updated the #2 sheet had an error

boatpaddle

Great info.....

Thanks for sharing it, Randy....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

M,Yingling

i like condition from outer edge to center bout 1in wide or so ,, can get a couple different turkey from that area 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey