turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Really slick strikers?

Started by bowbird87, February 22, 2016, 10:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbird87

I've got a few new strikers that are really slick , scotch brite didnt help at all. Any suggestions?

callmakerman

Scuff them lightly with 220 grit sand paper being careful not to mess with the profile of the tip.

JLH

Could have a little oil in the wood...a little alcohol or even acetone should clear that up...then the sandpaper.

bowbird87

Thanks it almost looks like these a clear coat over the tip.

Stump.270

Scuff with 220 I hold it and run the sand paper over the top turnin every time I make a pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Howard

edjenkins

Get yourself a medium grit sanding sponge.  Push the striker into it and twist a couple times and it should be good.  Using the sponge keeps your tip profile. Ed

Daryl

Exactly like Ed said and then you can put a little box call chalk on the end and it will grip on any surface. I use rain chalk on my strikers for a copper surface. Fills the pores in the end of the striker and keeps them from clogging up and getting slippery.

pappy

Quote from: Daryl on February 23, 2016, 03:18:40 PM
Exactly like Ed said and then you can put a little box call chalk on the end and it will grip on any surface. I use rain chalk on my strikers for a copper surface. Fills the pores in the end of the striker and keeps them from clogging up and getting slippery.
exactly right...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

bowbird87

Thank y'all,  I'll give the sanding sponge a try. The worst one is a dymondwood, but I have about 5 that are almost to slick to use.

Rick Howard

Some woods are oily, like cocobolo or bocote.  I have a hard time with strikers made from oily wood.  Dymondwood is not oily though.