OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Darrin Dawkins Stoned Aluminum

Started by hunter22, February 17, 2016, 10:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

I got these two pot calls from Darrin yesterday. They both have his new stoned aluminum playing surfaces. One is in a Walnut pot and one is in a plastic pot. I have been running both calls this morning and I may actually prefer the plastic pot over the Walnut. But both are simply outstanding calls. If you love the sound of aluminum but don't like fooling with slick surfaces and having strikers slip at a critical time, this may be the option you are looking for. A lot of you know that I have hunted a Dawkins Walnut aluminum call for years that I actually took the anodized finish off of and it has accounted for several gobblers. These two calls are better than that one.

Footballer

Do you have to condition the surface and is there much striker build up?

hunter22

Darrin sent Scotch Brite pads with each call for conditioning. But I have been running them this morning and have not done anything to either call. I have cleaned the striker tips but not real sure I needed to. More out of habit I think.

boatpaddle

Congrats, Rickey

That is a FINE set of turkey calls, coming from a fine gentleman..... :icon_thumright:

Can you post a sound file, please.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

scoot12

love my plastic stoned aluminum call.  I noticed this call has a harder breaking yelp then his anodized aluminum call.

hunter22

Here's a short soundfile of the plastic stoned aluminum. I am certainly no competition caller, just an old turkey hunter.

https://soundcloud.com/hunter22-2/dawkins-stoned-aluminum

boatpaddle

Rickey,

Ya run it like an ole' PRO..

Good sounding call, that will get the job done in the turkey woods.... :funnyturkey:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

bunk

I like it. Mine should be here this week! Can't wait to try it myself.

sbbow

Very nice set of calls !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greentag

sounds great,id say you could be an "old pro" if you wanted to be.

The Cohutta Strutter

Anybody seen America lately?

REBELYELL

Got my stoned aluminum plastic pot today. Man, what a killer sounding call that plays so easy. It should be the ultimate hunting call, especially for foul weather.

Matt k

he makes some really nice looking and sounding calls

Spitten and drummen

I have a stoned aluminum and crystal in plastic pots from darrin on order now. Heard them over the phone and man they sound nice. Can't wait to get them.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tennessee Lead

I'm calling him tomorrow after I get home . I would have tonight but we had a funeral visitation for my wife's uncle. Going to order a plastic pot. Can't wait.

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps