only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite pot call surface

Started by jbrown, February 28, 2022, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PALongspur

Good old traditional grey slate for me.

Spitten and drummen

Tried and true grey slate. Crystal is my second favorite.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

gobrunner

zsully

Slate over slate is my go to with a glass over slate being a close second.

Sir-diealot

I have a couple of each slate and so far green is my favorite. After that I would have to say crystal.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom Dooley

Moh20

Slate with copper a close second

Bowguy

gobblers roost

Cody Fatwood woodsman Green slate. My Cody 11 Grey  slate is even with it. I had Cody green monster from 1994  world class and spec 1 and the legend  My cheaper Cody's are equal if not better then the most expensive ones.
Jmo

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

gergg

Never thought I would say this, but an aluminum/aluminum pot I have sounds fantastic in the woods(full, rich, vibrant) It plays soft or loud and has great tone. Over the years I have had 3 pots that the birds loved....a gray slate, a glass, and now this aluminum.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

vt35mag

Green slate, but I'm a bit biased. It's quarried less than an hour from my house and my first job out of college was for a company that quarried and manufactured slate products.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on February 28, 2022, 11:01:22 AM
Thus far, green slate.

But this will be my first season with a glass in my arsenal. It's striking to me how different the approach is—after being used to a slate, you just about feel you have to apply as little pressure as possible, but you still get big sound. With slate you at least get the feeling you can put into it what you want to get out, pressure/volume-wise. More intuitive control, in other words, which probably translates to more confidence.

To me, the "harder" surfaces like glass/aluminum generally have a much more "dramatic," punchy turnover in their sound. Stands out and reaches out, but that's not always what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree about the harder surfaces, particularly aluminum. They seem sharper, "clearer "  than slate, which to me is softer and more mellow. I carry both.