OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Late season is such a grind

Started by JMalin, May 13, 2024, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

Feels like if you don't get it done in the first hour, it's pretty much not gunna happen the rest of the day. In western Oklahoma now trying to fill tag and I'm thinking tomorrow is my last morning of the 2024 season. Started in the eastern part of the state wanting to add an eastern to my NM merriams and Texas Rios but insects, tall wet grass, and lack of consistent gobbling made me change plans. Going to give the bird I'm on a bit of space and probably won't set up any closer than 200 yards from where he was roosted this morning. I feel a lot more confident about tomorrow morning than I do this evening and don't wanna booger him up if I can't call him in this evening.

What do y'all do for the long middle part of the day late in the season when birds aren't doing much gobbling?

2flyfish4

Set up in known areas and call sparingly. Like a 3-5 note yelp every 20-30 minutes. Don't expect them to gobble back, but to come in silent. Not much fun, but have shot alot of birds over the years with this technique.

Tclipse01

I call a lot with the neighborhood birds (not huntable) to take their temperature throughout the year, helps me learn their habits and the ups-and-downs of gobbler moods. This week they have really tapered off on responding noticeably, but are still coming around to investigate the yelps slowly and quietly. 2flyfish4 has the right approach I think, they are still interested but less likely to sprint down the barrel of your gun this time of year. I'll be playing the slow & steady game when I go out this week.

The Lung

I hope we aren't setting up on the same toms, lol.

I have been at flydown 3 times on this group of toms out on public in western OK  and each time they give me the slip. Gobbling like crazy on the limb. They are roosting on private, strut for a half hour  on public and are headed to private after that. I am going Wed and hope to finally get these turkeys out of my mind. Bottom of the ninth!

You are right though, after that first hour they are pretty tight lipped.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

dah

Took my Oklahoma rio early last week . Group of four gobblers across the fence . would only look and walked away on the soft subtle stuff . Showed back less than hour later when some other birds entered field . This all late morning . Said to heck with it and broke all the late season rules of calling sparingly and hammered them with cuts and yelps on a box . They closed half the distance and I went quite . They waited a little bit and turned to leave . Hammered them again for a period and at 33 yards my 410  killed its first bird . No call sparingly for these birds , all gobblers with two other gobblers standing at fence watching . Something to think about . Good Luck. P.S. Birds are making a comeback in this area .

b wilt

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on May 13, 2024, 07:07:58 PMSet up in known areas and call sparingly. Like a 3-5 note yelp every 20-30 minutes. Don't expect them to gobble back, but to come in silent. Not much fun, but have shot alot of birds over the years with this technique.
This x2.