OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

bell vs. no bell

Started by Brillo, March 12, 2022, 06:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMBOSTC

Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 10:13:45 AM
Hey, if the American Indians had a lathe, maybe they wouldn't have used wingbones, lol. Most of the stuff throughout history was based on a need and develope with what materials and technology they had (or didn't have) at the time.

If only the Indians had carbide blades and a lathe, what a different world it would be. Lol!

EZ

I enjoy using cane and bones to craft a call the "old school" way.
I am, however, eternally grateful for epoxy, lol.

ChesterCopperpot

Getting back to the OP's question, some of y'all jumping in are much more proficient callers than me and I'd be interested to hear what advantages you find in running a yelper with a bell as well as how your style of play differs between running say a Jordan which doesn't have one versus a trumpet which does? EZ, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and especially hear how your hand hold changes or doesn't change depending if you're running a Jordan versus a trumpet.

I'd also be interested in hearing preferences for bell design, say a more closed bell like Anthony Ellis or slightly more open like Permar or more open like Prudhomme. The idea of bells turns out to be a rather deep subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 10:39:03 AM
Getting back to the OP's question, some of y'all jumping in are much more proficient callers than me and I'd be interested to hear what advantages you find in running a yelper with a bell as well as how your style of play differs between running say a Jordan which doesn't have one versus a trumpet which does? EZ, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and especially hear how your hand hold changes or doesn't change depending if you're running a Jordan versus a trumpet.

I'd also be interested in hearing preferences for bell design, say a more closed bell like Anthony Ellis or slightly more open like Permar or more open like Prudhomme. The idea of bells turns out to be a rather deep subject

I hold my yelpers and other's Trumpets the same. It's the call itsself that dictates whether it "needs" that finger at the bell end or not. Some need a little more back pressure than others. It's all in the individual design coupled with your style of calling and it's fun figuring out what the call "likes".

Gobbler428

Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 10:39:03 AM

I hold my yelpers and other's Trumpets the same. It's the call itsself that dictates whether it "needs" that finger at the bell end or not. Some need a little more back pressure than others. It's all in the individual design coupled with your style of calling and it's fun figuring out what the call "likes".
X2 Tony, I run them all the same way as you, it depends on the call.

901CritterGitter

Its been my experience that trumpets with a smaller bell end are way easier to play . Or maybe thats just cox trumpets in general . I have some others with a larger bell and i cant play them for crap

justin.arps

Is there more versatility in tone with A  bell?

Gobbler428

Quote from: 901CritterGitter on March 13, 2022, 12:18:04 PM
Its been my experience that trumpets with a smaller bell end are way easier to play . Or maybe thats just cox trumpets in general . I have some others with a larger bell and i cant play them for crap
It sounds like you need to place more of your finger over the bell, i.e. modulate more. If you haven't already, you might want to watch Ralph Permars' instructional video on You Tube. He explains and shows you how to do this.

crow

Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 08:13:22 AM
I think Turpin gets the credit, one, because it's documented, and, two, because he not only develops the bell but also what becomes the ferrule. Before that it was just thread wraps and glue.

Very good explanation, David. I will note that in his book, The wild Turkey and its Hunting, Edward Avery McIlhenny notes Jordan's description of his cane yelper as "Then a nice nickel-plated ferrule or thimble is fitted on the cane to prevent splitting, and the sloping end is wrapped with silk", so I'm not sure you can give Turpin credit for the ferrule.

Well not to stir the pot,

The Delawares have in their oral history the practice of wrapping thin silver wire around the joint of their 2 piece wingbone calls to keep the hide-glue from letting loose and falling apart in the middle of thunder storms. The first metal ferrel

This goes back to the 1700's

EZ

Quote from: crow on March 13, 2022, 01:49:57 PM
Quote from: EZ on March 13, 2022, 09:16:19 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 13, 2022, 08:13:22 AM
I think Turpin gets the credit, one, because it's documented, and, two, because he not only develops the bell but also what becomes the ferrule. Before that it was just thread wraps and glue.

Very good explanation, David. I will note that in his book, The wild Turkey and its Hunting, Edward Avery McIlhenny notes Jordan's description of his cane yelper as "Then a nice nickel-plated ferrule or thimble is fitted on the cane to prevent splitting, and the sloping end is wrapped with silk", so I'm not sure you can give Turpin credit for the ferrule.

The Delawares have in their oral history the practice of wrapping thin silver wire around the joint of their 2 piece wingbone calls to keep the hide-glue from letting loose and falling apart in the middle of thunder storms. The first metal ferrel

I'll be darned....see there, you never quit learning on this site. Thanks Crow.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: crow on March 13, 2022, 01:49:57 PM

That's really cool, [mention]crow [/mention]!

crow

Brillo

Is it generally correct to say that a well controlled trumpet will make more/better turkey sounds than a yelper but a yelper should be easier to master?

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Brillo on March 14, 2022, 07:37:37 PM
Is it generally correct to say that a well controlled trumpet will make more/better turkey sounds than a yelper but a yelper should be easier to master?

Both calls being equal, depends on the individual.

2nd 100

Very interesting  read . As EZ said there you go , if you listen you can learn everyday ....