OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I was sitting in the blind this morning

Started by Sir-diealot, May 24, 2020, 04:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I was sitting in the blind this morning feeling kinda bummed out because I have only heard maybe one gobble all year and have only seen 2 turkey at a distance. Then it dawned on me that just 6 years ago I was still unable to hunt because of my car accident and had not hunted for 17 years and I would have given just about anything to have been out in these woods whether they were gobbling or not.

Sometimes I think we can all get a bit bummed with how the season may be going but this was something that knocked me right out of it, so grateful to God that I can be out there again when I may have never have gotten the chance to hunt again and gotten my first bird last year.

Thanks be to God.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

mmorgan9812

Yes sir! I am pumped you are out in the field

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: mmorgan9812 on May 24, 2020, 04:57:03 PM
Yes sir! I am pumped you are out in the field

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks, me too!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

MDSTRUTNRUT

Yea little down with none of my tags filled this year but had a good year chasin with working roosted birds every hunt but 1.   Worked one on last day (May 23) but he still was courtin 2 hens.     The 5 turkey hunters in my immediate family took 5 birds and passed on several jakes.    Hunted with family so am very fortunate, that tag soup aint all that bad LIFE IS GOOD!   Glad you're out in the turkey woods, I know you've had some VERY RUFF times in the past.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MDSTRUTNRUT on May 24, 2020, 08:04:58 PM
Yea little down with none of my tags filled this year but had a good year chasin with working roosted birds every hunt but 1.   Worked one on last day (May 23) but he still was courtin 2 hens.     The 5 turkey hunters in my immediate family took 5 birds and passed on several jakes.    Hunted with family so am very fortunate, that tag soup aint all that bad LIFE IS GOOD!
I still have a week left, missed out on Friday and Saturday, body just said no, that was okay though, got to spend some time with my girlfriend and my dog. Hope to finish the week strong. Life sure is good.

John Koenig:

Howie g

I sure hope you get to hear a few before it's over and hopefully get to put one over your shoulder also .  Good luck sir

1iagobblergetter

It's easy to take things for granted like ones health until you don't have it.
I had a 8 day stay in the hospital. I got out on Monday and albeit slower we were chasing turkeys on Friday.
I Thank God for the opportunity just to be out enjoying the great creation and getting to enjoy it with my Son. Killing one is just the icing on a already great cake.

Tom007

X10. You have a great outlook, god bless the fact you are able to be out there with us. You will be rewarded, good luck this week, enjoy every minute. The Old Tom will show up.....be safe.....
"Solo hunter"

yelpy

I've been bumbed too. I think the birds have been quarantined but it's a blast being out there. You never know what mother nature has in store for you on any given day. 

bbcoach

During our NC season this year, myself and 2 of my hunting buddies shared our experiences in the woods everyday.  Our season was a duplicate of what many have posted this season as well, gobbling on the roost, fly down and gobble a hand full of times and then nothing the rest of the day.  Very hard hunting quite birds.  Out of 6 tags allowed for the 3 of us, only 1 tag was filled.  We all hunted hard!  All of us were in the woods almost everyday of our 29 day season.  With this being said, we all talked and wouldn't have traded one day of slow hunting and very little gobbling for the BEST day at work since we are ALL retired.  All 3 of us are in our 60's and God has blessed us with good health and we never take that for GRANTED.  Remember the Worst day hunting is better than the Best day working!

Fullfan

Fella, every day is a gift that most do not appreciate.  in 2016 I was involved in a vehicle accident, 6 weeks in the hospital, 14 months before I would walk again. There were some very dark days in my life, managed to fight through and struggle at times to walk and even get out of bed. But I'm here and I very thankful.

Enjoy every second you have been given, you never know when it will be your last....
Don't gobble at me...

NCL

Back several years ago I came to the conclusion that what we are getting from leisure activities are memories. It seems that many of my fondest hunting memories are not successful hunts but things that happened. I remember a couple of years ago, was on a hill top and watched the sun rise next to some cloud, one of the most beautiful sun rises ever seen. Usually only hunt by myself but on a few occasions my daughter has gone along and those times are priceless.

bbcoach

Quote from: NCL on May 25, 2020, 11:22:23 AM
Back several years ago I came to the conclusion that what we are getting from leisure activities are memories. It seems that many of my fondest hunting memories are not successful hunts but things that happened. I remember a couple of years ago, was on a hill top and watched the sun rise next to some cloud, one of the most beautiful sun rises ever seen. Usually only hunt by myself but on a few occasions my daughter has gone along and those times are priceless.
TOTALLY agree NCL!  For those that believe it's about STACKING them up like cord wood, IT'S NOT!  As I get older, I have found that it's about the memories, fellowships and friendships that I enjoy and not the KILLS!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Howie g on May 24, 2020, 11:23:45 PM
I sure hope you get to hear a few before it's over and hopefully get to put one over your shoulder also .  Good luck sir
Me too, thank you much.

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 25, 2020, 12:17:36 AM
It's easy to take things for granted like ones health until you don't have it.
I had a 8 day stay in the hospital. I got out on Monday and albeit slower we were chasing turkeys on Friday.
I Thank God for the opportunity just to be out enjoying the great creation and getting to enjoy it with my Son. Killing one is just the icing on a already great cake.
Sorry I don't remember hearing you were in the hospital, glad you are out. Yes we can indeed take it for granted. I do indeed thank God, like we all know it is not just the hunting, it is being out there hearing and seeing his creations come to life each morning. Here's to many more.

Quote from: Tom007 on May 25, 2020, 06:45:37 AM
X10. You have a great outlook, god bless the fact you are able to be out there with us. You will be rewarded, good luck this week, enjoy every minute. The Old Tom will show up.....be safe.....
Thank you much, I did not make it this morning like planned but will tomorrow, best of luck to you as well if your season is still going. You be safe as well.

Quote from: yelpy on May 25, 2020, 06:59:50 AM
I've been bumbed too. I think the birds have been quarantined but it's a blast being out there. You never know what mother nature has in store for you on any given day. 
I have seen two at distance but did not notice any masks, lol Yes it is so much fun being out there, found out after today the entire property will be mine along, well the bottom part anyway, third owner is going back to Delaware. Certainly can be a show.

Quote from: bbcoach on May 25, 2020, 07:34:28 AM
During our NC season this year, myself and 2 of my hunting buddies shared our experiences in the woods everyday.  Our season was a duplicate of what many have posted this season as well, gobbling on the roost, fly down and gobble a hand full of times and then nothing the rest of the day.  Very hard hunting quite birds.  Out of 6 tags allowed for the 3 of us, only 1 tag was filled.  We all hunted hard!  All of us were in the woods almost everyday of our 29 day season.  With this being said, we all talked and wouldn't have traded one day of slow hunting and very little gobbling for the BEST day at work since we are ALL retired.  All 3 of us are in our 60's and God has blessed us with good health and we never take that for GRANTED.  Remember the Worst day hunting is better than the Best day working!

I have been out there every day the body has allowed except Mondays where I normally drive the Mennonite. Has been fun, very much needed exercise, I could have parked at top of the hill and walked down but chose to park at the bottom of the hill and walk the quarter of the way up it I guess it would be just for the exercise. I will be sitting a different area tomorrow, only bringing in 3 or 4 calls as I have to carry up a chair blind then when the day is done huff that down and drive the other blind up and install that and put the chair in, that will give me 2 spots and then the portable blind as well. Still hoping for a day the tailbone and back says I can sit on the ground on a cushion, miss hunting like that and love it when the body gives me that chance. Glad to hear you have some good friends to share it with, none of my friends turkey hunt. I had one that I had started into turkey hunting before my accident, he had been through a lot with cancer so I would always bring both our gear in and after my accident he gave it up, wish he would get into it again, his cancer has made him very negative and I think him getting out would be great. I am picking up mine and the girlfriends fishing license after hunting tomorrow, hope I can get him out for some of that.

Quote from: Fullfan on May 25, 2020, 07:58:55 AM
Fella, every day is a gift that most do not appreciate.  in 2016 I was involved in a vehicle accident, 6 weeks in the hospital, 14 months before I would walk again. There were some very dark days in my life, managed to fight through and struggle at times to walk and even get out of bed. But I'm here and I very thankful.

Enjoy every second you have been given, you never know when it will be your last....
Great attitude, I understand being in the hospital for a long time and having to learn to walk again Dec. 16 1988 I was in the back seat of a car that hit a tree at 90 MPH I did not get out of the hospital until late March or early April (Funny how time makes you forget) Great to hear you are doing better, best of luck to you during the season.

I know what you mean, one of my fondest memories are of taking the Mennonite I drive for, his two youngest brothers and some others in another vehicle coyote hunting with dogs. I was more a drive that day as with much but always had a firearm with me just in case I had a safe shot. One stands out to me on that day was not that we got anything, but it was just such a beautiful winter day, the snow was falling magically light and hanging in the air as it came down, that day was saw deer, coon, squirrel, turkey, fox and one coyote. We had all puller over on the side of the road and the snow was undisturbed other than our tracks, we were surrounded by a young woods and the snow was just laying so pretty on the ground and we are sitting on the tailgate drinking some coffee eating some donuts and talking, I was just struck by the thought that this is what hunting is all about, great scenery, great friends and the enjoyment of nature and wildlife if you got anything or not. It will always be one of my best memories, hunting or otherwise. And you are right, those times are priceless.

Quote from: bbcoach on May 25, 2020, 12:58:28 PM
TOTALLY agree NCL!  For those that believe it's about STACKING them up like cord wood, IT'S NOT!  As I get older, I have found that it's about the memories, fellowships and friendships that I enjoy and not the KILLS!
Totally

John Koenig:

Dtrkyman

Glad you are healthy and getting out!

Perspective, I get mad when I don't hear one gobble for one day!