OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with a spooked goobler

Started by ncquackersmacker, May 03, 2011, 09:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncquackersmacker

I spooked the turkey I have been hunting the past three days this afternoon coming to roost.  I do not think I scared him to death but he caught me moving my gun a about 10 yards.  I had out a strutting decoy and a hen decoy.  I have until Saturday to get him what should I do?  He has been roosting in the same corner for the past few days but is always hened up in the morning.  How good of a memory do you think these things have and do you think he will be back on his pattern tommorrow?   

drenalinld

I don't think they have any long term memory. What he does in the morning will be unrelated to being spooked today other than you may have spooked him to a different roost.

longbeardlife.com

I would be in close to same location next afternoon with no decoys and very little calling.  good luck...

JDogg

A couple of years ago I hunted an old bird that was VERY smart.  I've never seen a turkey stand still and assess the situation as long as he did.   He would fly off roost then come to a small 3-4 acre field every day on this public land.  I set up one morning in a little point of brush that stuck out into the field.  leaves where out already and I was real hidden.  I set two decoys in front of me.   He came to the field and as soon as he saw the decoys he stood still not moving for 40 mins.  He was out of range and I was going nuts.  finally he proceeded to work around the field but delibrately avoided the decoys by about 40yds.  I really wished I had set them up on the opposite side of the field from me!!!  I've always kept that in my mind though, that I may be able to steer a weary gobble by putting decoys where I don't want him to go.

turkeybill34

I would go in to the same area with no decoy's and like said above very little calling.

Basser69

I would set up in the same location with no decoys and light feeding purrs only. Just enough to peak his curiosity. Good luck with him

pcgobbler

Quote from: Basser69 on May 04, 2011, 10:27:17 AM
I would set up in the same location with no decoys and light feeding purrs only. Just enough to peak his curiosity. Good luck with him
x2

ncquackersmacker

Wanted to give an update on my battle with this old bird.  I finally got him last Friday after 18 hours of hunting over the course of the week.  It never roosted in the same area but moved to another section of the field.  Over the course of the week he stopped gobbling from the roost and would only gobble a couple of times while on the ground at around 8am.  I hunted morning and evening with very little calling and a lot of sitting and observing.  After five days I was able to narrow down his movements and killed him Friday around 9:30.  Thank goodness for my gobbler lounge as it made that waiting a lot more comfortable.  I was actually looking at this site on my iphone when the bird gobbled for the first time Friday not 150 yards from me.  He was a nice 3-4 year old bird but not the biggest I have killed.  However, he is a the taxidermist today because of the the challenge he gave and the great satisfaction of going head to head with this ol' boy and winning.  It is a completely different feeling than running and gunning from spot to spot and striking up any random bird.  Another reason this bird is so special is because it was taken on my best friends property who passed away last year in an accident.  In a way, I am glad this bird gave me such a fit, I defiantly appreciated it more. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

drenalinld

Congratulations!!! Thanks for sharing the story. Way to stick it out!

Ol'Mossy