OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone else doing any early scouting?

Started by Tail Feathers, February 07, 2018, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Only scouting a fellow could do around these parts for the next 6 weeks, anyhow, is to look for tracks in the snow...............

UGH !!!!!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

compton30

Been heading out every Saturday to "squirrel hunt" on some places I thought might hold turkeys in the coming spring. Can never have enough places to hunt.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 07, 2018, 08:16:53 PM
Only scouting a fellow could do around these parts for the next 6 weeks, anyhow, is to look for tracks in the snow...............

UGH !!!!!!!!!!
I feel for you.
It's really too early here too, they are still in winter flocks.  This time next month they'll be gobbling for sure tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

wade

I wasn't actively scouting but I saw a tom strutting a day or 2 ago. Thought that was unusual so I called my local wildlife biologist. He said it was a little early but not unheard of.
Do it outdoors

MK M GOBL

Quote from: wade on February 08, 2018, 12:34:04 PM
I wasn't actively scouting but I saw a tom strutting a day or 2 ago. Thought that was unusual so I called my local wildlife biologist. He said it was a little early but not unheard of.

Just some normal behavior, toms do strut, gobble and maintain their pecking order throughout the year. When breeding time comes and they are less tolerant of other males (depending on their bachelor group or if they are solo) then you will see displays to hens and an increase in an amount of gobbling and strutting behavior.

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

scouting never really ends for me. I am always making mental notes of activity and sign regardless of the time of year.

Greg Massey

Back out yesterday for about 4 hours on a small farm scouting....

Gobble!

I'd like to get out and hang a feeder or two in the next couple weeks but haven't done anything yet.

mtns2hunt

Cleaning out creek at crossing this am as we are expecting a lot of rain and can't afford to repair road. Looked up and seen over twenty birds crossing the field. Still flocked up and did not see any mature gobblers. Probably in their own gang.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

yelpy

Started my scouting a few weeks ago. Placed my wireless trail cam out and been watching this lonely Tom for a few weeks.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

It was warm and rainy here today so I drove back roads and glassed some fields. I'll get out and yote hunt a few times between now and the season but I pretty well know where I'll be hunting.

appalachianassassin

haven't scouted in years. my pre-season prep is getting my legs ready for a test of indurance. in my area, if your not in great shape your not going to be able to get to a turkey, let alone kill one.

buzzardroost

I pretty much know where they'll be from year to year on private and public land. I do a lot of training to get ready physically.  Very rough terrain. Running, push-ups, sit-ups, it all helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambone50

Running squirrel dogs from late fall all the way thru the winter allows me to start scouting pretty early. I don't take too much stock in sign I find in November/December, but everything i see this late gets noted or marked on the gps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Unfortunately not. Between doctor's visits due to a vehicle accident, physical therapy, finalizing wedding plans, and selling my old camper and getting a better one for my hunt camp, I haven't had time to set foot in the woods. I'll be hitting it after I get home from the honeymoon :z-flirtysmile3:, not that I'll have much time left 'till opening day. Fortunately I know the areas that I'm going to be hunting quite well. :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: