turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1st so far in PA.

Started by CT Spur Collector, May 08, 2015, 01:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CT Spur Collector

Been watching and scouting toms in an area since the first week of April.  I like to scout, I always think there's an advantage. Back from WV, (skunked by the way), tried to beat folks to my spot. Did I mention that the entire month of scouting, ran into NOBODY??  As always in PA, thought 5am would be sufficient.....NO!  Pulled in and two folks were getting out of the car and stared to run to the woods.  Oh well, I've got a few years under my belt. No biggie.

I actually used another trail to get to where I wanted to be.  That tom I was scouting was tight lipped for some reason....probably all the amateur "owl hooting".  515am, an old boy got hot about 300 yards from me, beat feet through the creek, (hard to tell how deep at 515Am), needless to say, got about 75 yards to them.  Chased off another stick breaker coming in behind me,  (found his truck parked right behind mine when I left). 

Made about two tree calls, absolutely got his attention. Couple hens flew down at about 555am. He flew down at about 6am. Made a few aggressive raspy hen yelps and cuts, here comes the entire family. He strutted and gobbled till he met his maker at 40 yards at 610am.  I like the last, (Oh S**t) look on their face when they realize what's about to take place...Hahaha.  He got a ride in the Ford.

21 lbs. 9.875" beard, .875 spurs. Good two year old. I'll hunt 2 year olds all day!

Lots of competition in Pa. Between the folks and the tics, don't know which is worse. Please respect others and please be really, really careful.

I hope to use my second tag...........maybe.

Enjoy.

mgm1955

alloutdoors

bghunter777

I grew up in PA amazing what the ticks have done in parts of that state its unreal how bad they are.

Snoodsniper

101st501

That is the first of many, we hope.

tomstopper

kyturkeyhunter4

TauntoHawk

PA public sure can be a true test, well earned bird!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

bowmike

Congrats from a fellow PA hunter

beagler

Never Misses

catclr

Way to go from another Pa. hunter.   :toothy9:

Have used my two tags.

CT Spur Collector

Thanks!

This darn tag is still burnnin.  Went to WV Friday and Saturday, surrounded by toms.........could NOT get a bead on any of them!

Gotta rejuvenate for the next 2 weeks here in Pa. and get after em.

I'll be in touch....haha.

CT Spur Collector

Quote from: CT Spur Collector on May 18, 2015, 02:09:37 PM
Thanks!

This darn tag is still burnnin.  Went to WV Friday and Saturday, surrounded by toms.........could NOT get a bead on any of them!

Gotta rejuvenate for the next 2 weeks here in Pa. and get after em.

I'll be in touch....haha.

That tag quit burning on Memorial Day! 

Got in 5:05am, lots of foliage now very hard to hear. Heard a tom at 5:30am. Got in on him, made a few calls, he gobbled but not hard. By 6:10 am, here he comes. Came in straight at me, turned to my left at about 55 yards through the thick junk. I yelped, stopped him and he gobbled. I had no shot, I let him walk.  I almost went home.  Sat and had my cookie and water thinking, it's over.

About 7:10am, two toms open up to my left. they were gobbling at crows, game on. I made a few calls, they gobbled every time. They worked a ridge above me and would not move down. I backed out because I knew right where they were headed. I ran northwest on them about two hundred yards, got to were they were headed, boy was it all scratched up!  They were hungry!  I got set up, made one yelp, he gobbled at 75, (never saw the other tom), yards. One more yelp, 50 yards, HIS last gobble was at 35 yards. He looked up above the high ferns and old Mr. Benelli said hello!

16 lbs, 9,5" beard, 7/8" spurs...........AND I ALMOST WENT HOME!! 

All done in PA.  What a great Memorial Day !!!  Take care folks!

Tks.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.