OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's Wrong

Started by GOOSESLAYER, May 11, 2013, 10:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

Trying to fill my second tag here in OH. And Ive been playing cat and mouse with this beard dragger for three days straight now. Day 1 ran one hen decoy sparked his hens they came running in and tore into the deek. He stayed in the woods gobbling like crazy. Day 2 no deeks no calling his hens come out walk right by me 10 yards. He on the other hand walked all the way along the tree line across from the hens and then they met up in the middle of the field. Day 3 two hens and a jake decoy. Single hen walks out cutting up a storm come and hammers my lookout hen. He stayed in the woods about 5 yards hammering. Hen stayed for two hours in the deeks. She was joined by another hen about an hr into her stay. Another gobbler was following this hen but held up at 80 yards just staring then drifted off into the woods while the two hens fed. All three days I was in my double bull which is brushed in very well considering some time you can get away with it being in the wide open.

Also take in consideration I have not set up in the same spot twice

Hens and jakes are coming in no problem

What do you guys think is holding these gobblers up?

redarrow

They may have others hens with them that you aren't seeing.Get out of the blind and hunt the woods where you have been hearing the gobbler the most. He may have a strut zone there that he prefers.

gobblinfever

sounds like your batteling an old bird...them old birds are totally different from the 2 yr olds we kill...you need to get as close as possible to his roost in the morinings without spooking him to smoke him. if the terrain allows you, 40 or 50 yards would be good.
Nothing better than turkey huntin

DirtNap647

seen alot of gobblers do this as long as they can see the hens they are content get as close to the roost as you can sit tight good luck

GOOSESLAYER

Hens have been with the gobbler, but today three jakes had them.

TauntoHawk

Ditch the blind and decoys get in the woods with him
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tomstopper

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: tomstopper on May 14, 2013, 09:22:37 AM
Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 14, 2013, 09:17:48 AM
:agreed:
He is a smart one. He can see your blind and thinks your decoys are ugly! :TooFunny: Get out in the woods and hunt him. You know you CAN kill a bird without that blind and decoy. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Gooserbat

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 14, 2013, 09:17:48 AM

:icon_thumright:  Best advice you could get right there.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GOOSESLAYER

The beast is dead  :blob10:  it all came together today

16.12 lbs
11 inch beard
1 1/4 inch hook

Tommy Strutsalot

Awesome.  Congrats great bird.  So, did you get in the woods with him?

DirtNap647

chatterbox

Quote from: Tommy Strutsalot on May 18, 2013, 01:08:20 AM
Awesome.  Congrats great bird.  So, did you get in the woods with him?
Yes, we need details! Great bird and great job!

GOOSESLAYER

Gave the blind one more try but brushed it in more and only gave myself two little openings to shoot through. i could barely see the blind from 10 yards away..........Yesterdays plan was to hunt hard until 2pm then go pick up my daughter. The day started extremely slow, heard one gobble from him at 740. Did not see a bird until 1:20 and it was a lone hen. She walked across the field and headed in the woods about 10 yards from me. Around 1:45 I decide I better start wrapping things up in order to pick up my daughter in time. As soon as I put my binos away I caught movement 10 yards to my left. The hen was back, but this time not alone. Another hen soon followed. As soon as the second hen was all the way out of the woods the big boy went nuts about 15 yards deep in the woods. Not getting to excited because the same situation had happen at least 3 times since i started focusing on him. Hens would come out and he would just stay in and gobble like crazy. After a third hen coming out I grabbed the gun and got ready just in case. Seemed like forever and the 3 hens who were at 10 yards were now at 30. And then there he was at 10 yards, on the same path as always but today decided to join the party in the field. Settled the FF3 on his noggin and that's all she wrote. I've never hunted 1 particular bird so hard in my life. I literally thrown everything at him. And it all came down to PATIENCE like it always has this time just a lot more then normal. I knew he was the stud of the woods before I picked him up but the scale would verify it. 16.12 lbs.

captin_hook