turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

A Dad's Love Causes Death

Started by lonnie sneed jr., April 25, 2012, 10:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonnie sneed jr.

Sunday I went to see my Dad. He had some calls out calling. I kept listing to one he was calling on. I asked dad when he had made the call. He told me it was a Hot Hen Slate he had been carring from the day he had started making them. I have been turkey hunting for 42 years and called in alot of compt. but I have never heard a call like that one. I told dad I would give him $50.00 for it right now. He looked at me and smiled. I have never charged you for a call, he said. Dad told me his days as a Turkey hunter was about over, he could not see very well anymore. He handed me the call and said, it yours. He said he would rather me have it and see me kill a gobbler from it than to sell it to someone. He went on to say he always enjoyed seeing me kill gobblers. This morning at 7:15 a.m. one answered the Hot Hen Slate, that dad gave me. 15 min. and 4 differant series of yelping and cutting I killed the 21 3/4 lbs gobbler that liked the call. It had 11 1/4" beard and had 1 1/8 spurs. I have killed alot of gobblers the 42 years that I have hunted, BUT this one means more to me than any of the ones before.  Thanks Dad and I love ya.

Hognutz

The subject was a little mis- leading, but a great read. Congrats on the turkey bird, the call, and an undeniable love for your father.. Life is good!!
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

greenhead11

I just lost my dad  yesterday  so enjoy  the time with him and glad u got the call and a nice bird to  show

letinmfly

That is awesome!!!  :you_rock:

I've had the pleasure of speaking to your dad on a few occasions and he is a gentleman in every sense of the word.  I was saddened when I spoke to him right after his surgery and he told me that he might be losing his sight.  I told him that I would pray for his recovery and continue to do so.   :bible:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

goblr77

I lost my Dad in 2001. I still think about our hunting trips all the time. Good memories.

Turkey Havoc

Stephen H Spraberry

wvboy

I have one of your Dad's calls.. a slate with a Hickory striker dated year 2000 and signed .. it has helped me kill a few birds over the last decade or so.. he makes some great calls..

Congrats on the bird and enjoy the time you have left with your old man.. Mine is still around too but slowing way way down .. he may get out once a spring now ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

drenalinld

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing!

vaturkey

Great story Lonnie Jr. Congrats on a fine gobbler. Your dad , Lonnie Sr. is a fine fella. I have several of his calls. I remember over 20 years ago calling against you & your dad in turkey calling contest. Most of the time I had my butt handed to me . If your dad didn't win you would win. You guys are awesome callers. How many times have you & your dad won the WV. state calling contest ? I know its alot !

Take Care 

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

tomstopper

Quote from: greenhead11 on April 25, 2012, 11:09:34 AM
I just lost my dad  yesterday so enjoy  the time with him and glad u got the call and a nice bird to  show
My condolences on your dads passing.

Lonnie Sneed Jr.:Congrats and what a great story.

RutnNStrutn

Not sure if you saw my post on it or not, but my Dad is not doing well at all. His turkey hunting days are over, and I ended my season early so I could help take care of him. Cherish the times you have with your Dad, and never get rid of that call!! Congrats on your bird!! :icon_thumright:

dlquinn

Congrats on the bird and thanks for sharing your story. Your Dad does make a great sounding call...:icon_thumright:
NRA-STAND AND FIGHT

tha bugman

gone too soon are the times afield with a dad! Lost mine in Nov.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: greenhead11 on April 25, 2012, 11:09:34 AM
I just lost my dad  yesterday  so enjoy  the time with him and glad u got the call and a nice bird to  show

My deepest condolences on your loss. :bible:

Congrats on the call and the bird Lonnie. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: goblr77 on April 25, 2012, 11:18:44 AM
I lost my Dad in 2001. I still think about our hunting trips all the time. Good memories.

I lost mine shortly after Christmas in 1987 from cancer.  I know what you mean.  I'd give anything to have him back.