OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

River Otters

Started by KYHeadhunter02, December 14, 2019, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngobbler

Here in Florida they are even in the salt water now. People that have bait traps or bait pens (for salt water fishing) almost always get them broken into by otters. Years ago you would never see anything like that but for the last few years you cant keep a bait trap or pen in the water without an otter squeezing in, messing up your trap and eating all your bait.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Chris O on December 15, 2019, 07:47:23 PM
I hope you get them. It's too bad they are that hard on fish because they are a really neat animal. I have heard that they can cover some ground and have up to a 7 day route before they may show back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seen one playing on the ice last winter and had to stop to watch.
They don't seem very populated where I live and I don't have a pond so I think they are fun to watch.
I could see getting rid of them would be the answer for pond owners though.
It could be what happened in my Brothers pond.
Had an abundance of Bass,Crappie,and Big Catfish and they all disappeared from one season to the next without a trace.

Kylongspur88

We have otters on the creek near my house. In ponds.... They will clean you out. I'd either trap them or shoot them. I'd use some T shot or BB as otters can be pretty large. You have to telecheck otters in KY.

KYHeadhunter02

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on December 16, 2019, 09:29:49 PM
We have otters on the creek near my house. In ponds.... They will clean you out. I'd either trap them or shoot them. I'd use some T shot or BB as otters can be pretty large. You have to telecheck otters in KY.
That's what I read in the KY hunting guide. I'm a bit confused the way it's worded though about having a trapping license. Do I need to buy one??

I walked around the pond some yesterday trying to figure out where they are hanging out at on the bank. There's thick woods on one side that I walked over in. I figured out where they are staying and watched two of them catch fish.

I've got room in the freezer, I just need to figure out if I need a license or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

Quote from: KYHeadhunter02 on December 18, 2019, 01:16:52 PM
Quote from: Kylongspur88 on December 16, 2019, 09:29:49 PM
That's what I read in the KY hunting guide. I'm a bit confused the way it's worded though about having a trapping license. Do I need to buy one??

I walked around the pond some yesterday trying to figure out where they are hanging out at on the bank. There's thick woods on one side that I walked over in. I figured out where they are staying and watched two of them catch fish.

I've got room in the freezer, I just need to figure out if I need a license or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know if you need a trapping license. Might want to give your warden a call. I bet he could give you a quick answer.

Chris O

Contact your warden. Sometimes in my state if something is a nuisance you don't need a license.

coyote1

Definitely check your trapping laws. Otter is a cites animal here, not sure if that applies in all states. We have to have a trapping license and free kill tag for cites animals. We can't shoot any water animals either.

If you decide to trap. #280 and #330 body grip traps work well set in runs, slides or crossovers. #2 footholds on a drowning rig work good too. Footholds are best at toilets and crossover points imo. Make sure to have a lot of swivels in the trap chain if using footholds, otters are a twisting ball of fury when they get caught. They roll and twist like no other.

KentuckyHeadhunter

"I know a guy" who smoked one this year with a 10mm Glock 29 at about 30 yards.  First shot skipped on the pond surface and made 2 consecutive splashes.  Never seen that before. Second shot connected.  We spend too much money and time managing our pond and filling and fixing feeders to have these guys around.  I see them everywhere here in GA no matter where I've been.  And plenty of muskrat and beaver also.  By the way.....don't shoot a beaver when bowfishing from a canoe.  It never works out well.  Never. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

highcj5

They are very neat, but very destructive. The land I bought 4 years ago has a 2 1/2 acre pond on it. When walking around the pond. There was ton of otter crap. Fish scales everywhere. It's amazing how destructive they can be. I watched a few videos on trapping and when deer season went out. I trapped for 2 weeks. I caught 4 otters and 3 beavers in that 2 weeks. It was fun to do. Of the 4 otters, 3 were males and 1 was female. All the otter sign stopped. Till the next year. Was seeing fresh sign on the dam. Set a trap on the cross over and within 6 days caught 1. I have seen a little sign this year but not much. When deer season runs out. Might set some traps for a week. I hate to keep killing them, but they are eating all the fish. Good thing the pond is loaded with crappie. Helps keep them in check. Wish I could find someone who live traps and relocates them. Like someone else said. Find the crossover on the dam and set your traps.     Jesse