OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crossbow Question

Started by zelmo1, June 13, 2019, 09:42:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

What broadheads do you use for turkeys and deer. Most guys are brand loyal when they find something they like. I will be shooting a crossbow btw. I will also be using it during the bow season in our "special zone" season. All info is welcome. Thanks, Al Baker

bonasa

Rocket (Trophy Ridge) hammerhead is a 3 blade 2" mechanical, shot many spring turkeys with these out of the crossbow and compound. All were down inside of 10 yards, many were down right where they were hit.

Happy

I have zero crossbow experience but I have really liked the results I have had with the QAD exodus full blade broadhead. Shooting right around 78lb in my compound I have yet to not have a full pass through and great bloodtrails. I have never been keen on mechanicals because of structural integrity issues but there is something to be said for a wide cut if you have the horsepower to push it through and can place your shots accordingly. I like to hold tight to the shoulder on deer so I want something that will hold up to hard impacts. So far the QAD has done a tremendous job.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

neal

For turkeys I've been using the Rage turkey and it's been incredible. Killed 7 in the last two years. Haven't lost one and they've all gone down in sight of me.

Neal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

owlhoot

I have seen some amazing results with those guillotine that a couple of friends used.

greentag

I usually hunt strictly with a crossbow in the fall (for turkeys),we are allowed 4 here in Kentucky and I have always gotten my limit every year until the last couple when I started a new job and no longer have the weekends free like before,I have killed a lot of turkeys  with a crossbow and all those have been took with a 2 inch swacker,I have never wounded one or had one go farther than 15 yards after being hit....I have shot a lot of broad heads practicing and out of all, These seem to fly the best,are extremely accurate and def due the job on turkeys...i have been using the same Excalibur exomax since they first came out many years ago and while it is extremely wide compared to today's crossbows I love it,my set up is original Excalibur exomax,same tact zone scope that came with it,custom fast Flemish string,the most accurate arrows I have ever found,black eagle executioners with 2 inch blazers and 100 grain swackers= bad news for turkeys...

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I use NAP spitfire 3 blade expandable. 2 inch cut
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

renegade19

captpete

I'm like Happy and have zero experience with a crossbow. I have taken a few birds and quite a few deer with my compound. For turkeys I like a big cut mechanical and prefer the Trophy Ridge Hammerhead. I have taken deer with quite a few different broad heads. I really like the QAD Exodus full blade heads. They are what I have used for the last 3-4 years and don't see myself changing anytime soon. If I couldn't use the Exodus heads it would be Slick Trick mags or Viper Tricks. From there it would be a 4-blade Magnus Buzzcut or a 4-blade Black Hornet Ser-Razor. The great thing about Magnus heads is they have a lifetime warranty...bend/break one, just send it back to them and it will be replaced free. I am not fan of mechanical heads for deer....just my personal feelings. I have tried a couple different brands of them and have not been impressed. Part of that is I'm a weakling and only shoot 58lbs. My bow doesn't have the oomph/horsepower to make the big mechanical heads work the way they should on deer.

raywa

We use NAP spitfire crossbow for deer and turkey.

Sixes

I shouldn't really admit to this because it ruffles people's feathers, but for the last several years, I have shot the fake 125 grain 2 blade Rages from China. If they are still available, they run about 12-15 dollars a DOZEN  and after trying them out on a few hogs and a couple of does, I bought several dozen to put up for future use. For a buck a piece, I consider them disposable for the most part, but I have reused a couple that weren't destroyed after the first shot.

I've killed deer with a bow and crossbow with these heads and they kill just as quick as the real ones or any broadhead that I have used over the years (75+ deer and lots of hogs).

Here are 2 bow kills from last deer season with the exit wounds. The first one weighed 228 live and went less than 20 yards to give you an estimate of their killing power.

20181105_084024 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

buck18 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

BigSlam51

Quote from: Sixes on June 14, 2019, 09:27:34 PM
I shouldn't really admit to this because it ruffles people's feathers, but for the last several years, I have shot the fake 125 grain 2 blade Rages from China. If they are still available, they run about 12-15 dollars a DOZEN  and after trying them out on a few hogs and a couple of does, I bought several dozen to put up for future use. For a buck a piece, I consider them disposable for the most part, but I have reused a couple that weren't destroyed after the first shot.

I've killed deer with a bow and crossbow with these heads and they kill just as quick as the real ones or any broadhead that I have used over the years (75+ deer and lots of hogs).

Here are 2 bow kills from last deer season with the exit wounds. The first one weighed 228 live and went less than 20 yards to give you an estimate of their killing power.

20181105_084024 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr

buck18 by Tim Hillhouse, on Flickr
All good, I've been shooting them for the last 4 years lol. I'm sure the real ones are made in the same factory. Just got a dozen more in the mail last week for $12.50

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sixes

Quote from: BigSlam51 on June 14, 2019, 09:34:08 PM

All good, I've been shooting them for the last 4 years lol. I'm sure the real ones are made in the same factory. Just got a dozen more in the mail last week for $12.50

I was hesitant at first to use them, but now, I have no second thoughts when I draw back.

BigSlam51

Quote from: Sixes on June 14, 2019, 09:38:59 PM
Quote from: BigSlam51 on June 14, 2019, 09:34:08 PM

I was hesitant at first to use them, but now, I have no second thoughts when I draw back.
I've killed several deer, Turkey, raccoon, and groundhogs with them and they've never failed.

Happy

Aren't the originals made in China as well?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club