OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How early do you get to the gate?

Started by aclawrence, March 31, 2019, 07:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

So turkey season opens on my closest wma tomorrow April 1st. April 1st is a Monday this year.  This is great for me because I can go and I'm hoping it will knock down some of the road traffic and competition at the gates. I'm trying to decide how early I should be sitting at the gate. Even on a Monday I'm sure there will be some guys getting after it. How early do y'all like to "claim" your spot?  I know some people will completely ignore the unspoken rules of whoever is there first but hopefully they want run across me tomorrow. I found a few birds in a real accessible spot so I'm planning to tangle with them first before everyone else gets a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSlam51

If they are in a really accessible spot you can almost bet that you're not the only one that knows about them. Get there as early as you can, you can always nap in the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bbcoach

When dealing with public land and opening day, I would be there at least an hour before sunrise but an hour and a half would be better.  If you have an idea where the birds are (and I would put them to bed tonight) I would be setup on them at least an hour before sunrise.  Good Luck tomorrow, especially with the hunters.  STAY SAFE!

aclawrence

That's what I was thinking also.  Sounds like it's going to be an early morning haha. I'm probably not going to sleep well anyway. Literally the other night I woke up and grabbed my phone and was studying my maps. It's finally here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I'd be there 3 hours before daylight at least. As mentioned you can always get a hour or so nap in the truck and I start the hunt in the woods not at the gate so I walk in before daylight. Don't know we're you hunt but opening day could be Monday or any day and it will be a madhouse the first day were I'm at. I can guarantee when you drive up an hour before daylight and there's a truck at the gate you know has Gobblers you won't be sleeping in again
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 31, 2019, 08:10:12 AM
I'd be there 3 hours before daylight at least. As mentioned you can always get a hour or so nap in the truck and I start the hunt in the woods not at the gate so I walk in before daylight. Don't know we're you hunt but opening day could be Monday or any day and it will be a madhouse the first day were I'm at. I can guarantee when you drive up an hour before daylight and there's a truck at the gate you know has Gobblers you won't be sleeping in again

This right here.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

tomstopper

Quote from: LaLongbeard on March 31, 2019, 08:10:12 AM
I agree. Early is your best option. When I lived in NY, season opened on May 1st and no matter what day it fell on, it was still a mad house.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Brian Fahs

I do most of my hunting on public land in the northeast. Pressure is insane especially the first few days of each states season openers.

No matter when you get there people will pile in on you.

My solution is to park where I want the afternoon before and try to roost a bird that evening. I return to my truck and cook some food on the tailgate and sleep right there in the back of my truck. I usually am in the woods a full 2 hours before first light as tight to where I think birds are. I do this for as many days as it takes to tag out in whichever state I am in. It is a grind after a while but it works for me.

High plains drifter

Public land always has lots of inexperienced hunters.Also,  there are road hunting poachers driving the back roads of montana. These people use 22's, an d pellet guns to poach turkeys.They are low down scum, an d call it in, if you see them.They like small Japanese trucks,  with toppers.There is some good public land to hunt in Montana,  but there are always some idiots around, an d poachers.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 31, 2019, 11:23:05 AM
Public land always has lots of inexperienced hunters.Also,  there are road hunting poachers driving the back roads of montana. These people use 22's, an d pellet guns to poach turkeys.They are low down scum, an d call it in, if you see them.They like small Japanese trucks,  with toppers.There is some good public land to hunt in Montana,  but there are always some idiots around, an d poachers.
[/quote

Sounds like a good place to put some IED's.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

As early as you think you need and then another hour earlier. I would get as tight as possible I like to be in close enough to see the birds in the tree so when another hunter comes bumbling along blow his crow and owl calls trying to move on the birds I can watch and gage their nervousness. It often only take a few clucks at fly down to get a bird like that to land Infront of you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

CT Spur Collector

zelmo1

If you can park there overnight, I would kiss my wife and kids goodnight and head there tonight, lol. I am lucky, I hunt mostly private land

Spurs

Personally, I always get to the parking lot 2-2.5 hours before sunrise.  First off, it gives me plenty of time for Plan B/C.  Secondly, I like to know how many people I am competing with.  Typically, I won't even sit in the truck.  I usually sit just far enough down the road to observe the parking lot and avoid people.  Call me crazy, but I rarely have issues getting the area I want. 
This year is going to suck!!!

DumpTruckTurkey

Quote from: bbcoach on March 31, 2019, 07:42:44 AM
When dealing with public land and opening day, I would be there at least an hour before sunrise but an hour and a half would be better.  If you have an idea where the birds are (and I would put them to bed tonight) I would be setup on them at least an hour before sunrise.  Good Luck tomorrow, especially with the hunters.  STAY SAFE!

exactly what i do.  nailed it.  i hunt 90% public.