OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

And another Cali. bird bites the dust!

Started by Lumpy, April 02, 2011, 11:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Took a first time turkey hunter out this morning and he hammered a good one!!
We get to the ridge I wanted to hunt around 9am and my first series of calls gets an instant responce from about 150 yards away. We set up just off the break of the ridge and continue to call and he gobbles at pretty everthing I throw at him, but doesn't budge, he just walks back and fourth, back and fourth for about 30 min. I decide to move back about 30 yards from our set up and continue to call, but that dosen't work, he just walks back and fourth. I let things calm down and not call for about 20 min. We sneak up about 60 yards closer and I let out a call and he gobbles right back from the same dang stop!!
Now I am fed up with him and tell Dave that we are going to crawl up to him and shoot him. We crawl up to this big rock and sure enough he is down the hill about 60 yards away strutting for a hen. I tell him to slowly raise up and shot him with my gun. He was a little hesitant, but I reassure him that my gun will kill him at that range. Dave slowly raises up and drops the gobbler dead in his tracks, he doesn't even flop!!!
Now before anyone busts my chops about having a 1st time turkey hunter take such a long shot I explained to him the importance of patterning your gun with different choke/load combos from different ranges and knowing your max. range, and that you usually want the bird at about 30 yards.
The bird weighed 20lbs. had a 9" beard and 1 1/8" spurs, a solid 3 year old!!!
It was a great day in God's great creation.
God Bless

[attachment deleted by admin]
It's not a religon, it's a relationship, JESUS CHRIST IS LORD!!!

Hook's Custom Calls Prostaffer
www.hookscalls.com

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

JVA54

turkey slayer

RutnNStrutn

Congrats!! I'll bet your friend is thrilled!!

Hognutz

Congrats. No chop bustin' here. I would have done the same thing.. Way to go, Lumpy and Dave..Mike :icon_thumright:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

alloutdoors

M,Yingling

Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey