turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trout Waders For Fly Fishing

Started by Stoner, June 16, 2014, 03:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoner

Can anyone recommend a good quality chest wader at a reasonable price? I would be using them to fly fish for trout in streams and small rivers. Thanks for the help.

SCGobbler

Check out Cabelas.  They usually have some decent waders at a reasonable price.

Neoprene is always cheaper but hotter, the new materials get pretty pricey as you have seen.

I've had boot foot and sock foot and prefer the sock foot, just make sure you wear gravel guards or you will chew up the sock foot waders!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Stoner

Quote from: SCGobbler on June 16, 2014, 03:32:51 PM
Check out Cabelas.  They usually have some decent waders at a reasonable price.

Neoprene is always cheaper but hotter, the new materials get pretty pricey as you have seen.

I've had boot foot and sock foot and prefer the sock foot, just make sure you wear gravel guards or you will chew up the sock foot waders!

Thanks for the response and the tip about the gravel guards. I have used the sock foot waders before and they worked well for me. I had heard the boot style wader tends to have leaks where the boot attaches to the wader. Do not know if there is any truth to that. Thanks again.

Spring Creek Calls

I've had a pair of Cabela's boot foot neoprene waders for several years with no problems. Used mostly for trout fishing and duck hunting. Mine are the 3 mil. Under 100 bucks when I bought them.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Deputy 14

Check Orvis. They usually have some good deals on thier breathable waders. I've been wearing a pair trout fishing and winter trapping for 5 years and they're still going strong.

Rapscallion Vermilion

For deeper colder waters,  I have also had good luck with the Cabelas stocking foot neoprene.  They do get hot though.  For shallower water and warmer weather, I like my Cabelas dry-plus waist high breathable waders.  Very comfortable.  Cabelas has a good combo deal on those (waders and boots).

Stoner

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions, taking a trip to Tennessee to fly fish for Rainbows. Looking forward to it, however I do need some new waders.

Grant Flaming

Waders are one of those things that you can spend a lot of money on or not so much. However, in MY experience, I would say it is probably better to spend a little more rather than less. Read every review you can. nothing is more frustrating than leaky waders that aren't that old! Have fun with the fishing!

Marc

I fly fish a bit...  Used to be what would be considered avid...  Still do my share.

I have owned Simms, Patagonia, Orvis,  Hodgeman, and Cabela's...

The Cabela's waders are by far the best for the money.  They held up better than any of the others at 1/4 the cost of Simms, and half the cost of Patagonia or Orvis...  Hodgeman waders are cheap, but I had two pairs (one under warranty) and one pair started leaking on the first trip out, the second pair was leaking into my third trip out (I cut the feet out and used them for rain-pants).

I would stick with a stockingfoot waders with wading shoes.  Some of the rubber soles with metal cleats work ok, but I prefer felt soles, and if I am in really rocky and fast water, I use felt with metal studs...  For most applications, the plain felt soles will work fine.

I have had poor success with bootfoot waders and river fishing.  If the boots fit comfortable, they do not offer the support necessary, and the felt on the boots wears out before the waders do.  Rubber soles and trout fishing streams do NOT go together...  You may as well just belly-flop into the water, cause you will take some falls.  The felt soles really help to grip those slippery rocks and allow you to traverse the streams, creeks, and rivers without falling nearly as much.

Here are the waders I just purchased on sale for $120 not too long ago, and I would guess they will go on sale again...  I would watch for 4th of July sales.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders-150-Regular/749371.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabelas%2Bbreathable%2Bwaders%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=cabelas+breathable+waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

For Wading shoes, it is tough to beat Korker's with the removable/replaceable soles:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Korkers174-Redside-Wading-Boots/1166951.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DKorkers%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Korkers&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

They do have a special on a combo with wading shoes, but I have never used these wading shoes:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus8482-Breathable-WadersUltralight-2-Felt-Wading-Boots-Combo-Regular/722591.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DCabela%2527s%2Bbreathable%2Bwaders%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Cabela%27s+breathable+waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Marc

To add just a bit to the above post.

Neoprene waders are less expensive and will last longer.  However, if you are fishing in mild/warm weather and cold water, those neoprenes are simply miserable to wear...  You will cook in them. 

I duck hunt a considerable amount as well, and prefer bootfoot waders for duck hunting (because of convienence as well as the fact that they do keep your feet warmer)...  Especially in the breathables, they do not have as long of a life span (they do not hold up as well).  As mentioned they are a poor choice for streams/rivers with slippery rocks as well...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Stoner

Quote from: Marc on June 17, 2014, 12:49:19 AM
I fly fish a bit...  Used to be what would be considered avid...  Still do my share.

I have owned Simms, Patagonia, Orvis,  Hodgeman, and Cabela's...

The Cabela's waders are by far the best for the money.  They held up better than any of the others at 1/4 the cost of Simms, and half the cost of Patagonia or Orvis...  Hodgeman waders are cheap, but I had two pairs (one under warranty) and one pair started leaking on the first trip out, the second pair was leaking into my third trip out (I cut the feet out and used them for rain-pants).

I would stick with a stockingfoot waders with wading shoes.  Some of the rubber soles with metal cleats work ok, but I prefer felt soles, and if I am in really rocky and fast water, I use felt with metal studs...  For most applications, the plain felt soles will work fine.

I have had poor success with bootfoot waders and river fishing.  If the boots fit comfortable, they do not offer the support necessary, and the felt on the boots wears out before the waders do.  Rubber soles and trout fishing streams do NOT go together...  You may as well just belly-flop into the water, cause you will take some falls.  The felt soles really help to grip those slippery rocks and allow you to traverse the streams, creeks, and rivers without falling nearly as much.

Here are the waders I just purchased on sale for $120 not too long ago, and I would guess they will go on sale again...  I would watch for 4th of July sales.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus-Breathable-Stockingfoot-Waders-150-Regular/749371.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcabelas%2Bbreathable%2Bwaders%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=cabelas+breathable+waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

For Wading shoes, it is tough to beat Korker's with the removable/replaceable soles:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Korkers174-Redside-Wading-Boots/1166951.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DKorkers%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Korkers&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

They do have a special on a combo with wading shoes, but I have never used these wading shoes:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Dry-Plus8482-Breathable-WadersUltralight-2-Felt-Wading-Boots-Combo-Regular/722591.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DCabela%2527s%2Bbreathable%2Bwaders%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Cabela%27s+breathable+waders&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Sort of ironic that you put in the link for the Cabelas waders, it was the same waders I was looking at last night and pretty much determined those were the ones I was going to try. Thanks for your suggestions.

SCGobbler

Depending on the time of year that you fish, it may be just as easy to fish in neoprene socks that are tall and then fold them down.

Mine were Sims and the looped over the top of the bottom bootlace.  It was really nice because it allowed you in 96-98 degree weather to wet wade in regular felt bottom boots.

granted, if you step in a hole, you are going to be singing soprano for a few minutes, but I really got to where I enjoyed wet wading rather than putting on waders.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Sully53

Check out Frogg Toggs, I've been wearing them for a couple of years! Cabelas sells them.

Brian

beagler

I used to have to purchase a new pair of waders every two seasons due to leaks. I ended up buying a pair of Simms G4 waders six years back and they are still holding up perfectly. Best waders I have ever used hands down.
Never Misses

ncturkey

I have used a hodgman stocking foot breathable waders. I got them on sale $99.00 years ago. They stayed leakproof for 4 years. I got a pair of Orvis stocking foot breathable waders. They are awesome. I have had them for 5 years and still no leaks. The Cableas waders would be my next brand to try. I am using the Cableas Wader boot. I would suggest you try on a few pairs if you can. They all run different in size.