Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Listening for Gobbles

Started by aclawrence, March 08, 2024, 08:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey harvester

Went out to a spot that got burned a few weeks ago. First time there didn't hear a bird. Today heard 9. They were raking it on the limb but sure shut up shortly after. Next Sunday is our youth hunt and we've been told they're gobbling all morning over there.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Kygobblergetter

Listened on some public not too far from home today. Heard several birds but we're all roosted on private. The public is tore up with scratching though and birds are still pretty grouped up. Checked a camera I set up in November and had a mid 150s buck and a couple that should be around 150 next year so that was a nice little bonus. I'll be trying to scout whenever I'm off work from now until season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moore

[

aclawrence

Quote from: turkey harvester on March 29, 2024, 08:12:31 PM
Went out to a spot that got burned a few weeks ago. First time there didn't hear a bird. Today heard 9. They were raking it on the limb but sure shut up shortly after. Next Sunday is our youth hunt and we've been told they're gobbling all morning over there.
That's good news!

wvhoyt19

Ive been out a few mornings here in WV and have heard a few. I got permission to hunt a farm in PA. This morning i seen at least 80 birds at once with 18 strutters!! It was unreal!

Kygobblergetter

Oh man wv. That is awesome! Looks like a good season coming!

turkey harvester

TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

aclawrence

I'm out for my first listen this morning. I found one bird right beside the road. Inside my mountain bike over to where I thought he was and I could hear him walking in the leaves. He gave me a nice gobble right about 50 yards away. It's been all quiet since then. The gate was closed so I'm probably 3miles plus on my mountain bike and my legs are toast.

Kygobblergetter

Stopped by the farm we hunt this evening after work just to see if there was anything in the field and had a really cool encounter. There was a hen feeding near the gate and a longbeard just laying in the grass beside her. She got nervous about me pulling in and left. He didn't care a bit. May have been asleep honestly. After a few minutes he got up and began strutting around. He'd strut a few minutes then lay down for a few. This went on for half an hour or so before another longbeard came out and he went to run that bird off. I'd never seen that before

mdmitchell

I was mushroom hunting Friday on our IL farm and had 2 going nuts at 9 am. On another farm we hunt in IL they've been gobbling hard for a few weeks.

Guess it depends on where you are.