OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What makes a great striker

Started by MattinIdaho, May 02, 2016, 10:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattinIdaho

They seem like such a simple little stick of wood and yet some are just so much better that others. Obviously it's a combo of many things. Balance, wood type, tip angle etc. But some peoples strikers are so sought after. I've have some really nice strikers. But only strikers that come with the calls I have bought. And out of all of the custom calls I have, the 2 Cody hickory strikers I have are probably my very first (gotta kill a turkey) strikers that I own. I've never forked over the cash for a striker from someone who would be considered a top notch striker frist kinda guy.
Who is top of the striker game and why?

WV Ridge Reaper

I think it comes to personal preference..I've got some striker from of those highly talked about people and honestly wouldn't of gave $5 for them if I could have ran them before I bought em.

Some like one piece some don't,same with flared tip vs not.

I'll run a Jimmy Schaffer two piece any day of the week before I will a one piece but when I do choose a one piece it's Del Crows or Bill Lyman

Not everyone runs a call the same,applies pressure,angle the list goes on

Also helps if you don't believe everything your read on here,I learned the hard way haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattinIdaho

Jimmys 2 piece are definitely one of my more favorite strikers. They run good on a lot of different calls. I prefer 2 piece with a non flared tip. I also have a 2 piece Halloran diamond wood that I would take over any of the one piece Halloran I own.

boatpaddle

A great sounding call !!!!!!!

The type of surface makes allot of difference, when picking out a matching striker for a call....Custom call makers usually try to match up a decent striker, when sending out a call.

I like a thinner shaft without a flaired tip.......Certain wood types sound better on slate. Certain wood types like crystal....

As mentioned......Not everyone runs a call the same, so what I like doesn't apply to everyone else...It doesn't really matter who makes the striker or call, when you find the magic from both.

When I find a MATCH, it stays together.....If that striker works on another call, then the calls and that striker are kept together in a qt size zip lock bag.....I even put notes in the bag in reference to other calls, that sound good- great with THAT striker.

Fowler,& Lyman are my favorites.....

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

TauntoHawk

out of what i've tried I really like hallorans and Hooks gobble stix they run well for me
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Triple B

There are many good callmakers out there, that make a well made striker. I personally like one piece strikers, but have some 2 piece that are really good as well.
What works for me, may not work for you and vice versa. Strikers are like pot calls. Some you can run the fire out of, and some just don't work for you.

All you can do is get a few and try them, and see what you can do with them.It just comes down to what works for you personally, and then you decide if they make a difference.
With that being said, I have some strikers whittled by hand a from a friend on here with a pocket knife and sandpaper.
What makes them great? You call in turkeys with them...

They run the fire out of anything I put them on, and are priceless to me. Sometimes it just takes a little trial and error to match what striker goes best with what pot.When you get it right, you will know.
I personally like strikers made by Harold Fowler,Steve Torman,Bill Lyman, and Derrick Stuckey.Brad Roberts, builds a good one also. But they by far and away are just a small segment of guys out there, that make very good strikers.

SteelerFan

For me, a great striker is one that you pull from the vest and don't have to think about it. It fits, and feels comfortable, and will make all the sounds you WANT to make - without being "chirpy", skippy or just plain finicky. It's most definitely subjective and a personal choice, based on weight, feel, balance, etc. The variety of wood / surface combinations can make you dizzy  :z-dizzy:, but everyone will eventually find a few "favorites". My favorites might not be yours, and vice-versa.

I have a couple "standard" 2-piece dymondwood strikers that sound great on the pot they came with, as well as others. I also have some that are more call-specific.

I have tried a bunch, but for now I have a couple of Torman strikers that are always in my vest, along with several Brad Roberts', and Fred Cox. I would like to try Halloran, Bill Lyman, & Matt McClain. IMHO, a good / great striker can really bring out all the potential of a pot call - and make a good pot sound great.

As far as wood types, I have a preference for:

Dymondwood
Black Locust
Macassar Ebony
Purple Heart
Tulipwood

Beyond that, I start to confuse myself  ;D