OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Schaffer strikers

Started by wvmntnhick, May 02, 2016, 06:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Just curious as to why jimmy sends them out with electrical tape wrapped around them. At first I thought other guys were doing it for some kind of balancing act but was later told that he sends them that way. I can see where older gentlemen with arthritis might get benefit from it. Heck, I've considered doing it to some of mine that are super thin. Just wondering if anyone has the answer to this one. Thanks.

yelpy

I am guessing for finger placement consistency. I started putting tape on mine so when I pic up the striker and call in the woods I am holding the striker at the right distance from the pot. It does slightly change the sound, just a tad. Putting the tape around the striker top changes the sound and playability.

Buzzkiller

He told me it was so I would know which end to use

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Buzzkiller on May 02, 2016, 09:52:21 PM
He told me it was so I would know which end to use

LOL

Its for balance and grip, its easier to play without looking and get your hand placement the exact same in the woods.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

Just talked to Jimmy. He said it is because he uses two short dowels n has to hide the joint. We laughed pretty good on that one.
Truth is he said because it helps the balance of the striker, gives you a solid reference point where finger placement is and because if you pinch the striker too hard it can affect the yelp. The tape allows you to hold it how you wish n still not pinch striker too hard

boatpaddle

I cut the tape off and added heat shrink tubing to 2 of my JS strikers......

Works great and still does, when he intended the tape to do.... :icon_thumright:
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome