turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot wood

Started by LongSpur440, April 27, 2016, 07:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongSpur440

When buying a custom pot if there isn't a sound clip how do you know what wood and or surface to pick?  I know diff wood gives diff tone but what sounds good to one may not to another. Do you jus order one and hope for the best?

Clardh

I've seen individuals post that Jimmy Schaffer of Oak Ridge Turkey Calls will actually play calls over the phone so you can pick a type of wood and surface you like...can't beat that!

eorlando

Quote from: Clardh on April 27, 2016, 07:31:34 PM
I've seen individuals post that Jimmy Schaffer of Oak Ridge Turkey Calls will actually play calls over the phone so you can pick a type of wood and surface you like...can't beat that!
There are a lot of custom call makers that will do that.

SteelerFan

Quote from: eorlando on April 27, 2016, 07:36:42 PM
Quote from: Clardh on April 27, 2016, 07:31:34 PM
There are a lot of custom call makers that will do that.

And they will explain what each wood is "intended" to sound like... crisp, mellow, etc. In the end, the wood choices are more about density. The actual look out of that group becomes a personal preference. (Just my opinion... I don't make them, I just buy them  ;D )

LongSpur440

I have seen where they will play them over the phone but I would feel bad telling them to play them all lol,but  I guess if they want to sell one they wouldn't mind. Next prob would be picking a favorite. I would be on the phone forever  :z-dizzy: