OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Can a call lose its sound quality?

Started by Dtrkyman, April 20, 2016, 03:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have an older Blodgett double trouble, seems it doe not have quite the pop it used to, is this possible or am I just not liking it anymore?

I did lose the original striker but replaced it with the same design and material striker and have played with several others.

Matt k

I've had calls go " flat ". Ones I really liked too.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Weather, climate, humidity, etc etc can all play factors in calls going "flat".  Some woods may not have been cured properly and, over time, achieved more stability.  But I do know that calls I once loved don't sound as good now because I have found better ones and my " turkey ears" may have matured. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

ol bob

One of two things has happened either the sound board is loose, or the playing surface has come loose in one spot the only way to fix is take it apart and re glue every thing back and it should be as good as new.

WillowRidgeCalls

There are a number of reasons a call goes flat. More times than not it's a glue factor. As glue ages it becomes brittle and tiny stress cracks start to form from the vibrations it's absorbed. Nothing may be loose, but the solidness of the glue isn't as good as it once was. It depends on the glues quality, some glues are very good and some only last a few years.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

spurz

I have a Blodgett Leagacy that has done the same thing. Was thinking of heating it up a little and trying to get it apart and re-glue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yelpy

There are plenty of call makers that can fix it up... Its happened to me with a Reeves cocobolo pot.

outdoors

IF ITS SLATE , TAKE A LIGHTER AND RUN IT ALONG THE SLATE FOR ABOUT A MINUTE ALL AROUND IT
USING THE BLUE PART OF THE FLAME .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

gergg

I just had to take apart a 20 year old slate call that went dead, cleaned it up and re-glued it.....like new again.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

cutt down

Quote from: spurz on April 20, 2016, 08:27:49 PM
I have a Blodgett Leagacy that has done the same thing. Was thinking of heating it up a little and trying to get it apart and re-glue it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too! I need my Legacy fixed as well.

REBELYELL

I had a crystal call from one of the most reputable makers out there. Actually, it was probably my favorite pot call. It went dead as a hammer from one season to the next. I sent it back and he replaced it. Luckily, the replacement was as good or better.

spurz

Quote from: yelpy on April 20, 2016, 08:32:10 PM
There are plenty of call makers that can fix it up... Its happened to me with a Reeves cocobolo pot.

Any suggestions?