OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Next pot?

Started by RLAG, November 15, 2022, 09:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RLAG

Wanted some opinions here. I currently have a buster red slate/persimmon and a crystal mistress. What's the next pot I should get? Current thoughts are a Dawkins aluminum in a plastic pot or a buster ceramic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

outdoors

STOP ????
While you're still good with what you have
$$$$$$$$$$$$
Don't ask , I know
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

greentrout

I am a big believer in ceramic. I have one from Travis Wyatt that is the deal. I'm sure Buster would do one just fine as well.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

HookedonHooks

Ceramic from Stumpy (Chad Hutcheson)
Stoned Aluminum from Lonzo (Lon Trice)

Sir-diealot

Ceramic from Stumpy or copper from Michael Yingling
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RLAG

Man I guess ceramic must be the move. Thoughs on the right striker to pair with a stumpy ceramic?

Sir-diealot

People are talking about different strikers to use on different surfaces in this whole thread. I hope it helps you.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=103984.msg1028718.msg#1028718
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

EZ

Quote from: greentrout on November 15, 2022, 03:17:46 PM
I am a big believer in ceramic. I have one from Travis Wyatt that is the deal. I'm sure Buster would do one just fine as well.

I'll second Travis Wyatt's ceramic. Also, anything from James Witmer!!!

greentrout

Quote from: RLAG on November 15, 2022, 05:38:21 PM
Man I guess ceramic must be the move. Thoughs on the right striker to pair with a stumpy ceramic?

A good quality hickory striker has been my favorite. I have tried Dymondwood, frogwood, snakewood, tulip and some sound good. But when I hunt I always reach for the hickory first.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

Sir-diealot

I seem to remember liking bloodwood on ceramic now that I have thought on it more.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

turkey stew

Buster does make an excellent ceramic along with the others mentioned.

bbcoach

Quote from: Sir-diealot on November 15, 2022, 06:16:26 PM
People are talking about different strikers to use on different surfaces in this whole thread. I hope it helps you. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=http%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D103984%2Emsg1028718%2Emsg%231028718&share_tid=103984&share_pid=1028718&share_fid=17578&share_type=t&link_source=app

Crystal/glass - yellowheart, maccasar ebony, ipe, frogwood, dymondwood, snakewood  <br /><br />Gray/black slate - persimmon, pecan, hickory, black locust, frogwood <br /><br />Green slate - ipe, yellowheart, dymondwood, maccasar ebony  <br /><br />Ceramic- ipe, dymondwood, snakewood, macassar ebony, hickory    <br /><br />Aluminum - hickory, dymondwood, tulipwood, snakewood, macassar ebony

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
IMO it is hard to beat Jeff Harrison's Frogwood or a Heavy Dymondwood striker on any call surface.  It seems these laminated strikers bring out the Best in any call I've run them with.

bbcoach

Rlag, I have a Dawkins Stoned Aluminum and it is a Great call.  The plastic pots aren't much to look at but if you are looking for a call that sounds Great and will bring the turkeys in you won't be disappointed.  DD normally outfits them with a heavy dymondwood striker and they really sing. 

One other option I would explore is look into trough calls.  Various woods available along with various slate, glass and metal combinations, as pot calls. 

Loyalist84

Listen to outdoors and stave off the addiction.....but if you NEED one, Buster makes a ceramic in Blue Mahoe that's always in my top two. Got a raspy, mature hen "meat call" sound that can't be beat.

outdoors

I just received a red slate in a maple pot , it's really strong player  ,. Frome  Matt Van Vise 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field