turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newb Question/Call Recommendation

Started by IndiaZero3, February 23, 2022, 09:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndiaZero3

Hi all, fairly new to turkey hunting and I'm looking for my first high-end, custom pot call. Hope this question can lead to a good recommendation.

I have several cheap pot calls that I've used over the last few years... Couple of Knight & Hale, a Zink and a Primos. No problem getting decent turkey sounds out of them, but they all require constant conditioning... I can rarely get through a set with stopping to condition the call.

Is that common to most pot calls or is it because I have cheap calls?

Are certain materials (slate, crystal, etc.) more prone to needing frequent conditioning?

Are certain strikers or striker woods more forgiving as far as conditioning goes?

I'm looking for a consistent, reliable, easy to use call...something that just sounds like hen turkey each time I hit it.

Thanks for any help or recommendations.

ChesterCopperpot

Yes, some surfaces require more conditioning than others, and, no, that doesn't necessarily have to do with the price of the call. Slate you're always going to have to condition more often than other, harder surfaces. If conditioning is something you just flat don't like fooling with then I'd suggest getting a good ceramic. Metal surfaces are also going to require less conditioning. I'd worry less about the conditioning than the sound. What sound are you wanting to get out of the call? But, again, if you just don't like fooling with it, get a really good ceramic. Travis Wyatt makes a hell of a good one. So does Buster Halford. So does Chris Brumfiel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndiaZero3

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 23, 2022, 09:19:20 PM
Yes, some surfaces require more conditioning than others, and, no, that doesn't necessarily have to do with the price of the call. Slate you're always going to have to condition more often than other, harder surfaces. If conditioning is something you just flat don't like fooling with then I'd suggest getting a good ceramic. Metal surfaces are also going to require less conditioning. I'd worry less about the conditioning than the sound. What sound are you wanting to get out of the call? But, again, if you just don't like fooling with it, get a really good ceramic. Travis Wyatt makes a hell of a good one. So does Buster Halford. So does Chris Brumfiel.

Perfect. Thank you for the info and recommendations.

I don't mind conditioning a call, it's quick and easy. What does bother me is when I'm working a bird and the pot goes to crap and I have to stop and recondition to get through the set.

Thanks again

MK M GOBL

Hard to get right now, shop is under construction, but I will tell CODY Turkey Calls are killers!!

World Class Slate or SPEC 1 Legend Slate

MK M GOBL

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: IndiaZero3 on February 23, 2022, 09:30:17 PM
I don't mind conditioning a call, it's quick and easy. What does bother me is when I'm working a bird and the pot goes to crap and I have to stop and recondition to get through the set.
Now that really does surprise me that you're having to condition that much. I run pots and yelpers almost exclusively. And of the pots I'm a slate man through and through (exchange other surfaces in and out, but I ALWAYS carry a slate). Slates undoubtedly require the most conditioning, but even then I'm usually only scotchbrite conditioning once a day or maybe once every couple days. I keep a cover on the call when not in use so I don't lose the conditioning through carrying it (call covers are great for this by the way). But with a slate you've got an entire surface conditioned so there should be plenty of space to move around if one spot even did go dead. I usually don't move around a whole lot. I've got the sweet spots figured out and stay in those places. I HAVE had a few really bad crystals that wouldn't seem to stay conditioned and quite simply those got chucked. You've got me curious, though, what calls are you running exactly (you mention the brands, but what are the surfaces)? How large of an area are you covering with your playing stroke (should be really tight circles or ovals)? Is your striker hand palm touching the surface of the call when playing (sometimes people will grease up a section of a slate with part of their playing hand; not a huge deal but does tend to require reconditioning if you wish to play that area)?

owego

Get one of my covers----get my wet-one double glass & your troubles are over---Guaranteed!!!   http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/accessories/enticer-call-cover/

Fl strutter

I have several pot calls in the classifieds that are very good calls at a discounted price.

IndiaZero3

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 24, 2022, 04:03:56 AM
Quote from: IndiaZero3 on February 23, 2022, 09:30:17 PM
Now that really does surprise me that you're having to condition that much. I run pots and yelpers almost exclusively. And of the pots I'm a slate man through and through (exchange other surfaces in and out, but I ALWAYS carry a slate). Slates undoubtedly require the most conditioning, but even then I'm usually only scotchbrite conditioning once a day or maybe once every couple days. I keep a cover on the call when not in use so I don't lose the conditioning through carrying it (call covers are great for this by the way). But with a slate you've got an entire surface conditioned so there should be plenty of space to move around if one spot even did go dead. I usually don't move around a whole lot. I've got the sweet spots figured out and stay in those places. I HAVE had a few really bad crystals that wouldn't seem to stay conditioned and quite simply those got chucked. You've got me curious, though, what calls are you running exactly (you mention the brands, but what are the surfaces)? How large of an area are you covering with your playing stroke (should be really tight circles or ovals)? Is your striker hand palm touching the surface of the call when playing (sometimes people will grease up a section of a slate with part of their playing hand; not a huge deal but does tend to require reconditioning if you wish to play that area)?

I hadn't thought about a cover, that's a good idea.

I have a Knight & Hale Moonshiner and Scarlett Fever, both crystal. A Primos Power Crystal and the Zink is a slate Thunder Ridge.

I try to find a few sweet spots on each call so I have a primary and some backups and always have them conditioned prior to a set up.

I'm aware of and careful not to get oil from my hands on the call and I run them in a tight pattern.

IndiaZero3

Quote from: Fl strutter on February 24, 2022, 07:19:38 AM
I have several pot calls in the classifieds that are very good calls at a discounted price.
I'll take a look... Thank you

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: IndiaZero3 on February 24, 2022, 09:34:44 AM
I hadn't thought about a cover, that's a good idea.

I have a Knight & Hale Moonshiner and Scarlett Fever, both crystal. A Primos Power Crystal and the Zink is a slate Thunder Ridge.

I try to find a few sweet spots on each call so I have a primary and some backups and always have them conditioned prior to a set up.

I'm aware of and careful not to get oil from my hands on the call and I run them in a tight pattern.
I mean this only half-jokingly but 100% lighthearted, if you've got a call you've just conditioned well and you're running the whole surface smooth in a sitting, you're probably over calling. That said, back to my original statement of you might love a good ceramic. It'd about take a belt sander to get one not to grip. Very little conditioning required and most will flat scream or do the soft work, either one.

Bowguy

This might be an idea to help you. Commonly when working a bird a call might stay in your hand. If you noticed a surface going roll it say clockwise to the next hole (on back) group. You typically need to run across the holes to get your second note.
By rotating the call this way you would get a new surface all the time. I also don't typically see it happen when working a bird. The other thing is make sure your striker isn't the issue.

IndiaZero3

Quote from: Bowguy on February 24, 2022, 12:21:58 PM
This might be an idea to help you. Commonly when working a bird a call might stay in your hand. If you noticed a surface going roll it say clockwise to the next hole (on back) group. You typically need to run across the holes to get your second note.
By rotating the call this way you would get a new surface all the time. I also don't typically see it happen when working a bird. The other thing is make sure your striker isn't the issue.
Good advice... Thank you. And I think the striker could definitely be a problem.

Zobo

That is some very good advice given above. It probably is a good idea to get a ceramic pot like Chester suggested. Get a couple of different strikers too( I like frogwood, rosewood, purpleheart and snakewood for ceramic), they're as important as the pot itself and give you different sounds with the same pot.
     You've been hunting for a few years now so it's not a bad idea to "invest" in a call you really like and have confidence in. Confidence is so important for your calling and consistency.
   I'm a big box call user, some boxes need pretty regular chalking and others need almost none ever. So check out a new pot surface or two, you may just find something less tempermental. You definitely shouldn't have to condition quite so much.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

IndiaZero3

Quote from: Zobo on February 24, 2022, 11:06:35 PM
     That is some very good advice given above. It probably is a good idea to get a ceramic pot like Chester suggested. Get a couple of different strikers too( I like frogwood, rosewood, purpleheart and snakewood for ceramic), they're as important as the pot itself and give you different sounds with the same pot.
     You've been hunting for a few years now so it's not a bad idea to "invest" in a call you really like and have confidence in. Confidence is so important for your calling and consistency.
   I'm a big box call user, some boxes need pretty regular chalking and others need almost none ever. So check out a new pot surface or two, you may just find something less tempermental. You definitely shouldn't have to condition quite so much.
Sounds like I need a good ceramic and thank you for laying out the different striker material for ceramic, very helpful.

DMTJAGER

I strongly as possible recommend you give these guys a look. Excellent calls very reasonable prices.
Been using their calls for last three seasons and very satisfied with the results.
https://springfevercustomcalls.com/

They make pot calls in most type of surfaces.
I most strongly prefer their slate, copper and brass pot calls and both my friend and I had good success with them last 3 seasons,

Never had an issue getting through several series of calls without having to touch up a call surface.