turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Books about Mississippi turkey hunting

Started by BB30, February 02, 2019, 05:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Anyone have some suggestions on books revolving around Ms turkey's and the old timers from Mississippi?

I've read the old pro and east of the slash. Both very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoer2

LaLongbeard

Bird of Courage ( same author as East of the Slash) and Tall timbered Gabriel's, if you can find it
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

3bailey3

Bobby Dale Double gobble and The Flaming Turkey by Robert Hitt Neill

BB30

Thanks guys will check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler2577

Tall Timber Gabriels by Gordon Whittington

Good luck finding one and it'll be costly when you do, but it is a dandy.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

LaLongbeard

Ronnie "Cuz" Striklin is from Mississippi and wrote 3 books. A lot of books written by Mississippi hunters. Probably tied with Alabama for the most famous hunters and authors from a single state.

tha bugman

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on February 02, 2019, 09:46:34 PM

This is the one that I want to read!

LaLongbeard

Quote from: tha bugman on February 05, 2019, 10:05:36 AM

I've owned/read all the hard to find Turkey books, Tall timbered Gabriel's was about the hardest to buy. The University of Mississippi has two copies and will loan them out. I tried to get my local library here in Louisiana to borrow it for me. I've never in my life tried to deal with such stupid people(Louisiana people that is) I emailed the  Mississippi university asked what I needed to do to get my library to borrow the book. They could not have been nicer or more helpful. My library on the other hand could not have been more retarded. I gave them all the info, all they had to do was email and ask for the book. Months and I mean months later after several emails and phone calls my library said they were working on it. I don't think anyone reads and few are capable of reading in La. the only people I see in the library are obese 40 year olds playing games on the computers lol. I think the fact that I actually wanted a book to read threw them for a loop. Anyway you can borrow the book from Mississippi University I almost drove over to Miss. just to read it, but found a copy on eBay

tha bugman

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 05, 2019, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: tha bugman on February 05, 2019, 10:05:36 AM

I've owned/read all the hard to find Turkey books, Tall timbered Gabriel's was about the hardest to buy. The University of Mississippi has two copies and will loan them out. I tried to get my local library here in Louisiana to borrow it for me. I've never in my life tried to deal with such stupid people(Louisiana people that is) I emailed the  Mississippi university asked what I needed to do to get my library to borrow the book. They could not have been nicer or more helpful. My library on the other hand could not have been more retarded. I gave them all the info, all they had to do was email and ask for the book. Months and I mean months later after several emails and phone calls my library said they were working on it. I don't think anyone reads and few are capable of reading in La. the only people I see in the library are obese 40 year olds playing games on the computers lol. I think the fact that I actually wanted a book to read threw them for a loop. Anyway you can borrow the book from Mississippi University I almost drove over to Miss. just to read it, but found a copy on eBay
Thanks for the info!  I will see if my library can get it for me!

Gobbler2577

What is really cool is to sit on the porch at Longleaf and read it!  The first time I was invited to hunt at Longleaf I took my copy and the Andersons were amazed that I had one.  Of course thing have changed some now with Mr. David passing away, but it is an amazing place to be just thinking about all the folks who have walked that ground in years past.  Bugman I dont know where you are in the world but if you are ever near starkville I wouldn't mind meeting you and letting you read my copy thru.

BBR12

Another one I really liked and is very inexpensive is Otha Barhams's Spring Beckonings. The following list is as far as I know a complete list of all turkey hunting books by MS authors. There are a few that have some turkey stories mixed in with hunting in general. If anybody knows of any others please post up. 
Mabry Anderson
   Outdoor observations- general hunting book with turkey stories
Otha Barham
•   Spring Beckoning's
Bruce Brady
•   Bruce Brady's Game Trails
Ray Berryhill
•   Remember the hunt—hunting log book
Branton/Berryhill
•   3 Neil Cost books
•   Pavo Pavo The odyssey of hunting the oscellated turkey
Bobby Dale
•   Double Gobble
•   Turkey Roost Tales
•   Bearded Rednecks showing their tales and strutting their stuff
Jack Dudley
•   The Greatest Moments of My Life
John Duff
•   The Absolutely Infallible Rules of Wild Turkey Hunting
Roger Hannan
•   Tommy and Little Spur, kids book with coloring book
George Hurst
•   Rights of Way for wildlife        
•   Problems Pertaining to the Wild Turkey
•   Roads and Wildlife      
•   Miss. Cooperative Wild Turkey Research Project
•   The Wild Turkey in Mississippi
•   Population estimates for the wild turkey on Tallahala wildlife Mgmt. Area
Ransom Jones
•   Turkey Tracks: From Hatch to Harvest
Robert Hitt Neil
•   The Flaming Turkey
•   The Jakes
•   The Magnolia Club
•   Going Home
Gene Nunnery
•   2018 reprint of THE old pro
•   The Old Pro Turkey Hunter
•   I Will Lift Mine Eyes unto the Hills
Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland
•   The Truth
•   The Whole Truth
•   And Nothing But the Truth
Charles Whittington
•   Tall Timber Gabriel's
Richard Wiman
•   Tired Tubes and Ten Speed Turkeys
•   Long Shots from the Flatlands
Wade S. Wineman
•   East of the Slash
•   Bird of Courage
Preston Pittman\John E. Phillips
•   How to Hunt Turkeys with World Champion Preston Pittman

Jrkimbrough

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 02, 2019, 06:20:40 PM
Bobby Dale Double gobble and The Flaming Turkey by Robert Hitt Neill

Funny you listed both those books together!  My father handed me down those exact two books of his when I first started turkey hunting.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Gobbler2577 on February 05, 2019, 11:18:05 AM
What is really cool is to sit on the porch at Longleaf and read it!  The first time I was invited to hunt at Longleaf I took my copy and the Andersons were amazed that I had one.  Of course thing have changed some now with Mr. David passing away, but it is an amazing place to be just thinking about all the folks who have walked that ground in years past.  Bugman I dont know where you are in the world but if you are ever near starkville I wouldn't mind meeting you and letting you read my copy thru.

Man , i live in Natchez and would drive that to read it. Thats a generous offer that you gave bugman. Kudos to you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE